Old 12-11-2003   #1
Send a message via MSN to Jiberish
Another great idea! haha....

Okay, perhaps im on a roll (or other things). I was thinking this would be a cool idea for the future of kayaking, perhaps if it is not yet invented. So here goes
The world should have an "Indoor Whitewater Park". After looking at the evolution of Skateboarding and Rollerblading, why is kayaking still relying on mother nature's Decisions? After relizing what 600 cfs of water can do at the "secret wave" which a lot of you know what im talking about, wouldnt it be possible to create something similar, that can run year round, and provide a safer invironment for youngsters looking to get into the sport. I know I would buy a season pass if there were such a thing in the vicinity of where I live. I mean, if a wave like the one we arent supposed to talk about can be formed by a man-made structure, shouldnt that structure be on paper somewhere. It can totally be re-created.
So has anyone ever thought of something like this? Im doing an indoor whitewater park for my Business class.....a lot of it is "theoretical" yet none the one point dropping a 114ft waterfall was too.

Thanks for listening.....
Ben Guska

Jiberish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2003   #2
Hey Ben,

there are designs out there. Such projects as the penrith slalom course in australia and their company is now working with an amusement park company as well designing wave features for water world type places. The problem is that people stay on waves for a long time. Especially good people. So the lines are really long compared to a water slide. So you would need to have several features and some tubing or something that can move people through as well. Here is a link to their site and Bob Campbell who lives in Glenwood is one of the main guys in this company.

friend of the fork, knife, and spoon
peterB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2003   #3
Boise, Idaho
Whatever happened to that thing wave sport was making, I think it was called the "Wave Box" or something. Didn't some rich guy in Japan buy one. It was on the Buzz a year or so ago. Pics and all.
ID Surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2003   #4
Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1984
Sounds awesome, but..

..I drive by that 14,000 square foot Vans Skatepark on Hwy 36 that's been sitting empty fo the past year, and I wonder if the tiny (relative to skateboarding) whitewater communities around the country could sustain that business model. Just playing the Devil's Advocate, mind you.

No matter.....When I'm Dictator, there will indoor payparks and waterfalls next to every Starbucks.
El Flaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2003   #5
wave box

I know that the wave box people had a few orders that they could not deliver on. It was also described as "better than flatwater", which is not exactly accolades. It does seem that you could make a great wave with as 300 - 600 cfs especially if it was always the same flow. There have been a few articles about a company in Germany I think in Kayak Session. The problem is probably that the outlay of initial cash would be so great that you would need water world attendance which gets back to waiting in long lines for the play wave.

friend of the fork, knife, and spoon
peterB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2003   #6
Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
I just figured out that for a flow of 300cfs, you'd need to pump roughly 135,000 gallons/minute (gpm). For comparison, a big irrigation well pumps about 2000 gpm and costs about $50 - $100 per day to power. I hate to rain on the parade, but you'll need some pretty big bucks for pumps & piping, and then more to power the whole thing once you got it going.

Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2003   #7
Send a message via AIM to Clinton W Send a message via MSN to Clinton W
How about the Wave Cannon?

This is an article from Popular Science about the Wave Cannon. Looks like it would be pretty cool.,00.html
Clinton W

When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading.
Clinton W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2003   #8
Wanna-be Medical Student
That Wave Cannon thing is sick. After I win the Lotto I am definitely putting one of those things in my backyard. I really like the pool/hot tub that is in the center.

Fatboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2003   #9
Buena Vista, Colorado
I've been pulling for padded rail slides and kicker ramps for the past few years. Someone will eventually get wise an hook this up.

How bad ass would it be to bust out an AirBlunt to Front Side Nose Grind! Now thats a combo move.
Len is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2003   #10
paddle maker, kayak designer, planefitter
About ten years ago Doug Ammons wrote a short story about a play mall called "There" where you would be displayed from many angles on wide screen monitors all over the mall while you glistened with awesominities. I'd like to see a huge fishbowl act in Vegas where aereated water creates a mystery arena and well paid roamists lurk and loop around the innards of it while people dine in the vicinity. It doesn't hurt to dream- it just hurts when they come true.

If you're having fun, you're doing as well as anyone ever has.
jim is offline   Reply With Quote