Old 09-12-2005   #1
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Another Foxton Question...

Ran waterton yesterday at about 390, good fun. Drove by Foxton (110-120?) and lots of it looked really low, but a few of the drops looked runnable. At this point, the gauge on the flows page shows red, and searches through MB point to 180 as a minimum for a bony run. I noticed two kayakers putting in at the boulder garden yesterday, and I wondered what are folks experiences with lower flow runs. Are there small sections worth doing? I don't mind low flow and hitting rocks as long as I can actually float most of the run and as long as I have a line that doesn't pin me in every rocky drop. As water starts to get scarce I am of the opinion that I would rather scrape over rocks than sit on the couch.

deepsouthpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005   #2
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
My opinion: run Waterton.

KSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005   #3
Laramie, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1992
get a mountain bike, it's just like creekin' and gets you in shape
badkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005   #4
My cut off is 300 CFS for a run that will be worth the time and effort.
Like it or not, all of us are the result of a sexual act.
Geezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005   #5
I have run it as low as 120 in the winter. That is way too, low although if I remember correctly all of the drops in the Boulder Field still go. That said, my low limit now is 250. Below that do Waterton.
mwardgeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005   #6
Boulder, Colorado
Foxton is my favorite run. I have run it from 440 down to about 210.... 210 was really scrapy and almost not worth it. I don't think I'd run it much lower than that. I'd stick to waterton... I think you'll have a much better time. The lines in the boulder garden would be probably unrunnable at current flows. (have only run that section once at 350cfs, so others who have actually run the boulder garden at this level might know more than I do) You may be able to get down the river from foxton road down, but you'd have to portage several spots that are really shallow and rocky and barely runnable at 210, let alone anything lower. If anything would be worth it, that would be the section i'd try. Let me know how it goes if you do try it!

Camiona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2005   #7
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
I don't care what you say, Foxton can be fun as low as 175 or so. Yeah, it is not as great as 600, but for this time of the year, it is not a bad run. You will get a couple new scratches on your boat, but you can still get down without getting out of your boat. 110 cfs may be a bit too low, but you could run a few of the drops. Take a chance and then report back!

DeepSouth, you must have been on our Westwater trip based on your other post, but I don't know who you are.
rivermanryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2005   #8
Boulder, Colorado
foxton is at 210 right now, should be good to go (scrapy, but runnable)

Camiona is offline   Reply With Quote