Old 06-26-2004   #1
looking buisy
Animas river question

Planning A trip to the Animas next weekend for my B-day. I never have been to this erea,and I need A little help. I'm interested in the Trimble lane to 32nd st. park and the 32nd st. park to purple cliffs sections. All I can find is the classification,and milage. I need the location of put in's,and gauge information-should I use the guage for the Tocoma to rockwood rail yard run? I dont even know what city these runs are in so any,and all beta would be A big help. Thanks in advance marv. :P :P :P :P :P :P

marv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2004   #2
Fruita, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Ahh yeah. Did that in a canoe a while back, like when the town flow was above 3000 cfs. Took about 3 hours. Nice placid float. As you leave durango to the north, on 550, you'll come to 32nd st (City Market corner). Take a right, north, and as soon as you cross the bridge, turn left, and the take out is obvious. To find the put in, continue north out of town on 550 for several least'll see a sign on the left for Trimble hot springs, and then instead of turning left to the hot springs, turn right onto the paved road (Trimble? I think) and after a mile or two there's a put in near a bridge.

willpaddle4food is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2004   #3
the trimble run is just north of durango, as i understand this is pretty much a flat water / class1 type stuff so bring a rod. 32nd to the cliffs is the durango town run, right now its class2/3 stuff. theres some good play spots at gateway(santa rita) park. next weekend the upper animas might still be running ,but maybe low. rockwood box will still be in. as for flows the two runs you mentioned would checked as animas in durango. if you can check out the san jaun section in colorado rivers and creeks, this book should really give you the low down. hope this helps, have fun here, and happy birthday.
Old 06-29-2004   #4
looking buisy
Thanks for the info,I found the guage,>but what about the min flow?< I'm looking for class ll stuff because thats as crazy as my wife will get. I understand that the trimble to 32nd is class l & ll is this not true or is there only 1 or 2 class ll rapids. I would like to do the town run (if I can hook with someone),and also depending on flow-I have the shuttle covered. Also does anyone have A fav campground ?
marv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2004   #5
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999

Why not try running from below Smelter (or the high bridge) down to Weaselskin bridge. I haven't done the Trimble run, but I think it is all flat. If you go below town, I think you will get some Class II, but still a very easy run and not as boring.

What kind of camping are you looking for? For developed sites I like Junction Creek and Vallecito. For primative, there are tons, how about the Lime Creek area? You can give me a shout if you want to run the town run.
rivermanryan is offline   Reply With Quote