Old 04-14-2005   #1
Field Foreman
Animas, Durango to Farmington, Runnable?

Does anyone know if it is possible to run the Animas from Durango to the Farmington WW park. Specifically, I'd like to run from Aztec to Farmington, but it made me wonder if it is possible all the way from Durango. I'm not looking for a wild time, just sight seeing with a little play with friends who are still learning. Are there any diversion dams or other hazards/portages on the way. Thanks in advance for any info!

nmyaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2005   #2
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
I used to drive from Durango to Farmington all the time. Looks like there may be a diversion dam a couple miles north of the border in Colorado. The ranch has a house with solor panels. Anybody know if this is the case? I have never bothered to run that stretch. Everything else looks flat, but good to go.

rivermanryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2005   #3
Socratic Philosopher
I had wondered about floating that section, with the kids, in a canoe. Lemme know what you find out. Is there any camping along there?
Yes I am a pirate, two hundred years too late. The cannons don't thunder, there's nothin' to plunder. I'm an over forty victim of fate.
el gordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2005   #4
Yep, its doable with some class II and maybe a III here or there. There are at least two dams that will kill. If putting in at Aztec Riverside Park, you will enconter a huge lowhead dam 3.8 miles into the run. There is signage so portage river right. From there it is a 4 mile run to the WW Park. I suggest you keep on floating from the ww park to the Westland Park Landing take out. On this float the San Juan joins in and you get some decent canyon walls and then at the end, there is a diversion dam that kicks up some 5-8 foot waves (class III, III+ at higher levels). As for Durango to Aztec, I dont know much but have wanted to do it. I hope this helps. I have maps from Aztec to Westland Park Landing if needed.
stonej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2005   #5
As everyone has stated there are a few low head dams there should not be any more fences and it is Class I - II. But the one thing to remember is the milage. It is about 60 to 65 river miles and all of it is private and it also flows through the Ute Indian reservation so you have to get a permit from them. That is just south of Durango. So there is no access.
I have done it once in a wild water boat years ago and it took at a good clip just under 7 hours at 3,500 cfs that was with a short stop for lunch. It is a way long trip........ Aztec to Farmington is not to bad but there is the dam you have to look out for. Again difficult access...
keel is offline   Reply With Quote