Closed Thread
Old 05-20-2008   #1
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Animal rights washed away in Golden

A friend of mine has been taking his dog to the Golden river park for the last three years. He is a nice dog, but does have a history of being a bastard now and again with other dogs (just like most dogs). The story goes as follows, my friend and I were on the river when another boater stated that a man was kicking a dog near the parking lot. The dog appeared (by description) to be my friends dog. We then jumped out of the river and proceeded to investigate the situation. I asked every boater/river-goer I could find and many of them had either witnessed the event or heard about the recent situation. I guess the scenerio was that this man's dog (that was off leash) had gotten into a scuffle with my friend's dog that was tied up to a tree. The man then began hitting and kicking the dog AFTER breaking up the fight. The man then began to threaten people that tried to intervene in the sitatuion. He then got in his car and left after stating that he was a boater and would be on the river if anyone had any problems. Well I have a problem and as a Golden resident am rather sick over the situation. This post is intended to provide an outlet for my frustration, a possible topic of discussion as well as an opportunity for this individual to apologise for his actions. Thank you.

Old 05-20-2008   #2
Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
My opinion is since you didn't witness the incident and are going off of hearsay is mind your own business. You really have know idea what happen so why bother getting all worked up.

My 2 cents.

Old 05-20-2008   #3
pnw, Washington
I have found that people with dogs who meet me and my dogs do some of the strangest things. One thing I have noticed several times is that when someone has no control over their dog, they get angry with me and my dogs since they dont wont to admit that they cant control their dog. Its the oddest thing to watch play out but I have seen it several times. A couple of times it has almost led to a fight. Sounds like this was the case with this guy.
"Yesterday I was clever and tried to change the world. Today I am wise and try to change myself." -Rumi
Old 05-20-2008   #4
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Hearsay? The individual that informed us of the situation was the one threatened by this man and the eyewitness accounts of the scenerio happened minutes after the event. Lastly, my friend and my community are definitely MY BUSINESS.
Old 05-20-2008   #5
Golden, Colorado
Originally Posted by dkelley View Post
Hearsay? The individual that informed us of the situation was the one threatened by this man and the eyewitness accounts of the scenerio happened minutes after the event. Lastly, my friend and my community are definitely MY BUSINESS.
Yes, hearsay. I was the closest witness to the incident, as I was in the eddy, facing the dogs, about 5 feet away from them. Here's where your account is wrong:

1. The dog belonging to alleged "kicker" was on a leash.
2. The other dog was left unattended, tied to a tree.
3. The dog that was tied to the tree viciously attacked the dog that was on the leash.
4. The owner of the leashed dog had to pull them apart. His dog was slightly injured, and it could have been worse. He was understandably angry about his dog being attacked, and after pulling the dogs apart, kicked at the leashed dog, but didn't hurt it (the dog didn't yelp or act hurt in any way.)

To the person who left their dog tied to a tree, unattended:

1. If you really cared for your dog you wouldn't leave it unattended. It could have been stolen, or attacked by another animal, without it's owner their to take care of him. I feel very sorry for your dog.
2. If you cared about the other people who use the park, you wouldn't leave your dog unattended. What if that had been a small child that was attacked by your dog?
3. If you cared about the other dogs in the park, you wouldn't leave your dog unattended. A little while later a golden lab walked by, and your dog tried to attack that dog also.
4. If I ever see another dog tied up and unattended at the park, I will get out of the river, get my cell phone, and call animal control. Irresponsible dog owners like yourself need to be controlled.
Old 05-20-2008   #6
V for Victory
9300ft, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Send a message via AIM to SummitAP
Old 05-20-2008   #7
Lakewood, Colorado
Don't leave dogs tied to a tree while you boat out of sight. Why not just leave the dog home?
Old 05-20-2008   #8
Front Range, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2007
my 2 cents is that there is nothing wrong with leaving your dog tied to a tree if the dog is well behaved and not temperamental.

people do it at climbing crags all the time, and it is never a problem. however, if your dog has a tendency to bark obnoxiously, get fired up around other dogs/people, or does not simply stay quiet and behaved...then leave the dog at home.

i was not there for this situation, nor do i know all the facts. all i know is what my opinion is.
Old 05-20-2008   #9
Indian Hills, Colorado
If Golden was patrolled by a pack of wild dogs, maybe the eddys wouldn't be so damn crowded.
Old 05-20-2008   #10
Dipshit with the most.
Bellevue, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
I used to leave my cat Grommet at the putin ( unleashed ) while we would go boat. Sometimes for several hours at a time.

Once upon returning he looked pissed that we woke him from his several hour nap under the car.

But he never did attack anyone. So maybe you need a boating cat. They are more low maintenance.

Closed Thread