Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 10-06-2006   #1
An epic adventure awaits: The Little Colorado

I was checkin the AW site and saw that the Little Colorado in Arizona is rockin. Not much beta other than sayin it's very remote, has class V and VI drops, and flows into the Grand Canyon. Oh yeah, very illegal. Sounds like fun. 51 miles to the confluence, and from there I don't know how far, but that would be the stretch I would expect possible problems from authorities. There was one picture, and the water was turquoise, as is the imagery on google earth. Looks like an awesome canyon. 2,440 cfs at 5:00 pm at the beginning of the run. I'm estimating around a 30 ft average on the gradient. Probably one of the most elusive and awesome runs in North America and it's goin now! Obviously it would be a MAJOR logistical challenge, but certainly feasible. Ideally it would involve meeting a raft in the Grand Canyon. Anyone else have any beta, opinions, or know anyone who has run this?

deepstroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006   #2
There is no way that I can describe the amount of suffering that is required to do that run without a good plan. Have one.

It is class 4 boulder gardens, with exception to one mile of cool travertine waterfalls, one that is horseshoe shaped & a sticky mf. nothing over 10'. The canyon is immaculate and will remain that way do to access.

If you go take your playboat, meet a trip at the mouth, count on 2 days and bring lots of water. all of the side canyons & springs are warm & sulfurus.

Wayne Chorter has some pics.

Life is either a daring adventure or nothing. Security does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than exposure. - Helen Keller
sward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006   #3
Englewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1978
I'd say that's epic, alright. Sounds amazing.
Join up, suckas.

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid."
- Soren Kierkegaard
Caspian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006   #4
There is no way that I can describe the amount of suffering that is required to do that run without a good plan.
Oh yeah, very illegal.
That is the kind of beta that appeals to me.
stof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006   #5
You have to hike out of the Grand Canyon with a boat with self support gear. JJ told me that Steve and him spent 12 hours straight hiking out. I don't think its worth it unless you are meeting another trip and floating the Grand out.

Stof, check out the Montrose Box, or the Upper Upper Salt. It's more reward combined with the beta that appeals to you.
Kyle McCutchen
Cutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006   #6
Monroe, Utah
Paddling Since: 1990
When the Little Colo. runs that high it ain't gonna be blue. there'll be a lot of crap in it from the REs.

Ron is offline   Reply With Quote