Old 08-29-2010   #1
sh$t show voyeuor/host
Barnard(Marshall), North Carolina
Paddling Since: wen?
American Made Hypalon Rafts

In a previous thread, which I will never mention again for fear of resurrection,
someone mentioned that all hypalon boats are now made overseas. Check out Custom Infalatbles- made in Reedsville, WV. While they dont say what kind of material they use, they mention welding and glueing so I assumed that they use PVC. But upon talking to the owner Atilla (thats right!) the other day, he told me that they are made of hypalon. Their designs are a little different but not extremely expensive (4k for the 13' Splash) Plus, it may be just my superior intuition, but I would be willing to bet that they would custom build a boat however you would like. I have never been in one but have seen USA Raft using them on the Nolichucky. They seem pretty solid and the guides like them. Now you hypo-diehards dont have to worry about sending your money overseas and toppling our economy! Just thought I'd share.

matt cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010   #2
Grants Pass, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2004
Here's their Link: Home of the ThrillSeeker, stae-of-the-art custom crafted high performance "inflatable kayak"

dgrogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010   #3
Grand Junction, Colorado
Team America.... Fuck Yeah!
Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010   #4
Huntsville, Alabama
Paddling Since: 1988
Thanks for the tip and the link to Custom Inflatables. I might be the "hypo-diehard" that started this discussion. (Currently taking some real heat for it on another thread too!)

These are great boats designed and manufactured by true American paddlesport afficianados. They have earned quite a reputation among the paddling faithful in the East and I have been aware of them for many years. Their Thrillseeker kayaks might be the premier IK in the world in terms of whitewater performance. I have seen several around on some of the most outrageous rivers in the Southeast - and they have all been made of PVC as far as I can tell. Their website mentions PVC several times, but I found no references what-so-ever to hypalon.

I would be very surprized to discover that Custom Inflatables regularly manufactures with hypalon, but I wouldn't doubt at all them custom making you anything you wish for a price. They advertize themselves as being a custom manufacturing shop first. The problem with hypalon in America as I understand it is in the chemical processes and our EPA regulations making it unpleasent and unfeasible to do it here, which is why they are all (almost all?) imported now.

The hypalon posibility at Custom Inflatables is certainly worth checking into though, especially since Atilla told someone it is true. They didn't gain the respect they enjoy among witewater's faithful by not telling it like it is. And if I ever decided to own a PVC boat I would certainly consider these folks and their products above most, if not all others.
RCinAL is offline   Reply With Quote

made in