America the Beautiful Pass and AHRA - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-12-2016   #1

America the Beautiful Pass and AHRA

So I got a ticket this weekend for using my America the Beautiful/ The National Parks and Federal Recreation Lands Pass at Stone Bridge. I've been doing this for years. I was kayaking Browns Canyon National Monument which is, I believe, BLM and Forest Service Land. This is covered by the pass.

If the AHRA has documentation or a good explanation as to why I have to pay there fee, I'll pay with a smile. I'm just wondering if anyone has any info on this.

Thanks

Jamie D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-12-2016   #2

summit, Colorado
I think you might have just gotten lucky and nobody checked your pass in the past - according to the monument's website BC Need to Know, the only fees are the AHRA ones. Doesn't look like the feds collect any money for access to the monument. IIRC, one of the stipulations of it becoming a monument was that it would remain under control of the AHRA.
basinrafter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016   #3

Flagstaff, Arizona
Paddling Since: 2002
Here's another related question:

If, HYPOTHETICALLY speaking of course, a ticket was issued at one of those Ark access locations to an out of state vehicle, and say (for argument's sake) the ticket was lost without payment. What would the repercussions be?
-Curious

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
jmacn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmacn View Post
Here's another related question:

If, HYPOTHETICALLY speaking of course, a ticket was issued at one of those Ark access locations to an out of state vehicle, and say (for argument's sake) the ticket was lost without payment. What would the repercussions be?
-Curious

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
Bad river karma
spthomson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016   #5

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
A state parks pass for two vehicles is over $100, the penalty for falsely attaining a centennial pass (income based-transferable) is $100... if you somehow get caught. I find that funny.
k2andcannoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016   #6
Beginner

Eastern Slope, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
They only accept the CPW Parks Pass. If Stone Bridge was inside the monument you would have a good argument, but it is a CPW/AHRA site. The America the Beautiful Pass doesn't cover FS or BLM lands operated by another entity ( like ski areas). Browns Canyon is a National Monument, but most access points are not part of the designation.

I would write a letter, including photos of signs, to the AHRA pleading ignorance this time. Perhaps since the designation is relatively new they'll let you off with a warning.

The $7 fee (or CPW pass) helps provide restrooms, parking areas, and Rangers who remove wood, assist others, and literally save lives. I think it's worth it.
Randaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016   #7

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randaddy View Post
They only accept the CPW Parks Pass. If Stone Bridge was inside the monument you would have a good argument, but it is a CPW/AHRA site.

I would write a letter, including photos of signs, to the AHRA pleading ignorance this time. Perhaps since the designation is relatively new they'll let you off with a warning.
This is the truth. You might have floated through the monument, but you used AHRA state parks land to access the river.

Pretty sure CPW citations go through county court and can result in a suspended license.