Old 06-18-2015   #1
Amended River Closure Order on South Platte

Earlier today, CW, in conjunction with AW, contacted the Jefferson County attorney's office and the Douglas County Sheriff about the River Closure Order, closing certain sections of the South Platter River to all recreational users. They agreed that under C.R.S. Sec. 33-13-111, the river closure order should not apply to whitewater canoes and kayaks. Jefferson County has issued an amended river closure order that exempts whitewater canoes, kayaks, multi-chambered professionally guided rafts, and multi-chambered river boards. Douglas County will do the same.
You should know that even though the order was overbroad, the Assistant Jefferson County Attorney with whom I spoke and Sheriff Spurlock responded to our concerns promptly and quickly amended the order to comply with the statute.

If I have done it correctly, a pdf of the revised order will be attached to this post.
Have Fun. Be Safe.
Patrick Tooley
CW Board Member
Also posted on behalf of Nathan Fey of American Whitewaterrevised closure order.pdf

patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015   #2
Indian Hills, Colorado
You guys are awesome. Thank you. Let the spice flow.

DanOrion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015   #3
Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Thanks Patrick for the work CW and AW do on this kind of issue.

The part about "multi-chambered professional guided rafts" has me a bit confused. Does this mean that if you have a multi-chambered professional-grade whitewater raft you're OK to go? Or that only professional guides in multi-chambered rafts can float (which seems odd as I don't think there are any outfitters guiding that reach)?

Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015   #4
Andy, I'll give you a dollar if you go. That'll make you a pro. :P
robanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015   #5
pnw, Washington
Act professional and go.
racerx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015   #6
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: Dawn
We are so lucky to have great whitewater advocates in this State, and understanding local authorities. Thanks for all you do!
pepejohns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015   #7
Paddling in to the Future
Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2000
for a guy not from the area... What was the reason for the closure to begin with?
PhilipJFry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015   #8
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Nice work!
deepsouthpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015   #9
Their PR stated:
Due to recent rains and winter melt/runoff in the high country, the South Platte River water levels are high and continuing to increase.
Law enforcement and emergency personnel are asking people to stay away from shorelines with fast moving water because of the dangers associated with the higher water levels and localized flooding. Recent emergencies have included people, pets and cars being swept away.
So, to be clear, don't go kayaking because of the water.(?)
robanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015   #10
Raft question

Hi Andy. The language can be read several ways I suppose, but neither the governing statute nor the implementing regulations use the term "multi-chambered professionally guided rafts." I do give the Jeffco and Douglas County Sheriffs credit for including rafts and river boards in the amended closure order, however, because the statute governing closure exempts only whitewater canoes and kayaks. Let me see what I can find out.

patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote