Old 05-22-2012   #11
BV, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2011
thanks guys, i got some good boaters to run with who are competent. leif i am a pretty good play boater as it is. thanks for all the advice guys.

tskoe23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012   #12
GWS, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1992
Lief's point about finding someone to guide you down is good advice. Be sure you have a good crew that realizes you are stepping it up.

Use your own judgement. There are plenty of boaters who have stepped it up to Class V in their second season. Just keep in mind that you are still green and you could die if you fuck it up.

But if you remember that you could die then hopefully you will also remember to be extra careful, use common sense and use safety. If you do those things you shouldn't die.

Mut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012   #13
Athens, Georgia
I think you'll know when you're ready. How high did you run the #s? Can you make hard ferries/ eddies/ lines in class 4 every single time? Do you have a good boof? How much class 4 have you paddled? Remember that making it down class 3/4 is different than running it capably and confidently. The way I learned was to find a big intimidating rapid, preferably with a pool after it, and with minimal consequences other than a beatdown, and practice the hardest lines I could down it. Be patient learning and don't push for class V before it's time.
elcamino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012   #14
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Originally Posted by tskoe23
Hi, I am a 2nd year boater. I know this sounds bad but let me finish. I have a bomber roll, on and off side and hand rolls on both sides. I am extremely confident in all of them. I have ran Westwater and the Numbers and didn't feel challenged on either of them. I have a creek boat and I feel like I am ready to go. What do you guys think?
Class V? Probably not yet. The numbers is barely above class three, and relatively safe. I would stay away from any runs that are truly class five until you spend a season running some class four. Remember that it is not only the difficulty of a run that matters but the consequences of messing up.

With that being said, it is a great year to get out on some runs that would normally be class five, but because of low water are now in the class four range.

Also, I am kind of a pussy, so don't take my word for it. Go run a few solid class fours and if you are still bored then step it up.

Also, if you were ready for class five you would probably already be boating with class five paddlers and you could ask them if you were ready.

OK, I am going to get back to not kayaking now.
Claytonious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012   #15
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
No, you aren't ready for class V. Sounds like you are ready for class IV. Don't ask TJ for class IV runs, because 50 ft'ers in Cali are class III in his book. You'd be better off busting a season of class IV before attempting some IV+/V- runs like gore or Bailey. You wouldn't be the first gung-ho newbie to go too fast too soon, but you should know that the failure rate is way higher when you go too fast. Get a guide book and tick off all the class IV runs within driving distance and then step it up if it feels right.
deepsouthpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012   #16
Durango, Colorado
Got to find the balance between confidence and experience 1st; sounds like you have the confidence, but certainly not the experience. This could potentially lead to a dangerous incident (or deadly, for you or your rescuers). I feel you though. Chompin' at the bit and all. My humble suggestion: you shouldn't be in a hurry. If you plan on paddling for a while, then whats the rush? Just check yourself, or you may get served (knock on wood).
DES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012   #17
My second year boating I kayaked the Grand and did the Gore race. Just go for it you'll know if your out of your element when it happens.
mrkyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012   #18
Arvada, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2009
did some solid fours last season when levels were ragin, ready to make that transistion myself but levels arent cooperating ! headin to paddlefest this weekend - some five light runnin up there. bailey runs at 5 mosta the time -try comin up for baileyfest. might be headin your way soon- slim pickins up here.
Skillkilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012   #19
Durango South, 4CRS
Paddling Since: 07
I don't think asking a bunch of strangers in a chat room on the interwebs is the best place to find out. It sounds like you have plenty of confidence in your skills, so have a solid class V boater FOLLOW (not lead) you down a IV or IV+ and see what he thinks. How long you have been boating doesn't really mean anything. It's about the experience not the time, and the two are not the same.
Life is either a daring adventure or nothing. - Helen Keller
yakr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012   #20
ashland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2000
besides your boof, roll, ferry, eddy turn how's the...

rescue skills? An often overlooked but necessary skill for class 4/5 boating

pretender is offline   Reply With Quote

class v