Old 08-22-2013   #31
Originally Posted by CGM View Post
Bailey is class IV and class III+ if you take out super max. Give er.
I'm fine calling Bailey III+, but that just means that everything else he has run is Class II at best.

Lower Narrows at 1.5 is much much slower than Bailey at normal flows (not this <200 nonsense that people are talking about). But if you are comfortable on lowers its not unreasonable to think you could be fine on Bailey. If you are feeling confident get an experienced crew and fire it up. If you have doubts wait. Bailey is one of the few runs you can count on having water every year.

My advice, run as much class III as you are willing to drive to as this season comes to a close. Get out early next spring, get on some runs with water in them and you'll easily be able to knock off Bailey and Gore next summer.

BrianK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013   #32
Hood River, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2163
Even in the steeps on Bailey, there are a ton of eddies you can catch to slow things down. So yeah, it is continuous, but it is also fairly easy to slow things down with a lot of eddies at an average flow. I'd say there are only 3-4 class IV rapids in the steeps, and they are really pretty spaced out. The notch, S-Turn, and that last one right after S-turn. The stuff in between isn't that tough or fast moving relative to those.

OP- obviously impossible for folks on the buzz to tell you if you're ready or not, but hopefully all the beta and comparisons here help you make a good decision for you.

David Spiegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013   #33
longmont, Colorado
Wow, you can tell the water is disappearing. Normally a post titled "am I ready for Bailey" would hardly have any views let alone this many replies. Here's my 2cents. Your only on your 2nd year enjoy your accomplishments this year and continue to build on that. Bailey is not going anywhere. It will be there next year. As you get more river miles you will build up your confidence in your skills and your skill set. I think just by having to ask if your ready, your not. I would take some of the previous advice on running harder roadside runs next year. Clear creek, Big Thompson(some yrs it runs in the fall), Boulder creek(blue bridge or 4mi put-in) these will give you a taste of the continuous nature of Bailey. As far as levels go Bailey at 200 is a lot different then 450 but I guess that's a no brainer! Considering narrows @1.5 is the hardest thing you have run. I say run narrows at 2.5 and see how comfortable you are. That would be a better indicator of your preparedness. Bottom line you only have 2 seasons of boating experience. I think you potentially put yourself and the people your paddling with at risk if you push yourself beyond your abilities. Know what your ability is and push it. But if your having to ask the Buzzards if your ready for Bailey, your not!
huck it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013   #34
Arkansas during the off-season Nomadic during the summers! :), Arkansas & Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
I didn't read the middle pages so you may have already run it? I say run black rock and especially BR rapid as the waters rise next season. If you have no problem with that (assuming you know Bailey isn't roadside) rapid then Bailey should go well.

The water is flowing Arkansas
I miss CO though!

gannon_w is offline   Reply With Quote