Old 06-24-2010   #1
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Am I already out to pasture?

Hard to tell with the lid and grins, but I don't see many yakers with much gray on the head. Have only been following the Buzz for a few years, and it appears at some point the thoroughbred is put out to pasture and buys a raft, for the family, of course. Seasoned yakers make for pro rafters.

I didn't get into boating until I already had the grays working, and started with a 16' cat. Lots of forgiveness built into that much rubber. Given I live on the Front Range, my seasons are short and not as accessible as a newbie would like. I'm at the point where a kayak is looking pretty appealing. The season is quite a bit longer and closer.

A river kayak looks very appealing right now, with the snowpack and flows diminishing, and La Nina setting up for a minimal runoff next year. I'm already jonesing for the runoff that might not be next year, and looking for a way to get on the water more frequently.

Do any of you yakers-turned-rafters have any input on when it's too late to get into the hardshell game? I'm having a good time now, I'm just jonesing for the next line...

angrylion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010   #2
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
It's never too late. Kayaking is about finesse.

JHimick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010   #3
Crested Butte, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1987
There's more gray hairs out here than you would think. Some of us are well into our forties and some in the fifties still pushing it and running class V. Kayaking is a mental challenge and in your older age you can make smarter choices and be mentally tougher if you use your accumulated experiences to your advantage. Don't let age keep you away. You don't stop doing things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing things.
jeffsssmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010   #4
Littleton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
if you are i am--and i'm not...
Jay H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010   #5
Gunnison, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2009
You don't stop doing things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing things.[/QUOTE]

kadzukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010   #6
started kayaking at 38 now 52. don't owen a raft.
bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010   #7
Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
You would be surprised...most of my paddling friends are in their 40's and 50's, a few in their 60's, and last week I paddled with a gentleman who was pushing 80 (79).

It's never too late to get into kayaking, just make sure you hook up with a group of paddlers who understand your skill level, and have your back...Good Luck!
GARNA’s mission is to foster stewardship of the resources of the greater Arkansas River region through education, volunteerism and experiences.
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010   #8
Near water (hopefully), Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
one of the best boaters I paddle with has gray hairs
smauk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010   #9
Parkersburg, West Virginia
Paddling Since: 1996
Never too late!

I am a female who started kayaking in my mid-40s, I just turned 60, and I stopped dying my hair a year ago and love my gray hair. I still kayak up to Class IV, although mostly II-III runs. I also row two cats, a gearcat and a 12.5' Sotar Legend, and I will be rowing the Grand for the first time next March. I am teaching my 14 year old granddaughter to kayak, much to the disapproval of my son. I also row a single scull, (27 feet long and 12" wide). I love both kayaking and rowing. I hope to be still doing both when I'm 80. My husband is 66 and still kayaks and also rows occasionally. Like someone said, it's all about skill and finesse and doing it smarter.
straycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010   #10
Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1989
Paddle where you want when you want and what you want. Beard and pube color accounts for little to the river gods.

hojo is offline   Reply With Quote