Old 06-25-2010   #11
Westminster, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
I started at 40 and at 48 I still have no skill or finess, but don't let that stop me from haveing fun. Age is just a number to pu on your drivers license!

Normal is a setting on your washing machine!
RandyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010   #12
pnw, Washington
Its one more reason to wear a helmet, your gray hair dont show.

"Yesterday I was clever and tried to change the world. Today I am wise and try to change myself." -Rumi
gh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010   #13
Monroe, Utah
Paddling Since: 1990
65 mostly class III but some class IV every now and then. Park and play almost every day that there's water. Got lots of hobbies, but this is still my favorite. Live life on God's time table. When it snow ski when it melts boat. How would you feel if you built yer kids a world like this and they just sat around watchin' tv? I'd be sorely disappointed.
When the river stands in awe of me as I do her, I'll know I'm a kayaker.
Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010   #14
Whitsunday, Queensland, Australia
Paddling Since: 2007
Next you'll stop dancing salsa!

G'day Angry Lion,

I am reading your angst! And chuckling.

At 48 I started white-water kayaking. Three years later, I am the happiest class-two paddler in the world, and occasionally I get out of my depth in class-3! Every week in the off-season I find a creek pool and roll 40 or 50 times. I did it today. In the evening I curl up with a kayak magazine. My life would be so much poorer if I hadn't found this great sport.

Having said that, I took up latin dancing at 43. That has brought me just as much fun, and it has to be said, more chicks, well, once-were chicks.

So, get a kayak and a pair of dancing shoes. The first might drown you, the second might give you a heart-attack, but heck, what a way to go!

Cheers and get-the-heck-out-there,

Mick from Australia.
upthecoast1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010   #15
T ride, Colorado
Wow I thought it was all that sun from sitting on a raft that made one grey??? He he he, or was that sitting on a chair in the office???
jenneral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010   #16
thornton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1969
ya, I can hide my own easter eggs too. Strap on one of those big boy diapers, buy that that kayak and 100 years from now you will be right back in that raft a happier boater.
raymo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010   #17
Commercial Paleontology
Out To Pasture

Mmmmm..... I hesitate a bit to put a post on this subject because I don't want to feel like I am tooting my own horn or jinx my future boating career..Ha...but I am into my 4th year of hardshelling at 52..I was boating class 4 within a year now spend time on some class 5's as well.. Most of the folks I rock & ice climb, Mtn bike & boat with are half my age & wonder why I don't slow down & give them a rest...Ha.. that is except for uphill bike climbs..I weigh 220lb & never could keep up..oh well.

Bottom line is you are as young as you feel...mainly mentally ..I certainly have my aches & pains.....& Granted I do not recover as fast after a really hard day anymore, find it more challenging to maintain muscle mass & injuries do take longer to heel..But I feel very bleesed to be able to be out there having fun still at the levels I am into....I hope to continue to play as hard as I can no mater what the level is till the day I kick the bucket..

Main thing's all about just being out there with good folks sharing the ride of life...class II - class V, 5.5-5.12, bunny slope-Black Diamond etc...who cares!!.....Just Enjoy & be safe.

By the way I paddled with this guy on Browns Canyon when I first started who was in his late 60's/early 70's...Wow!....he was as smooth as silk in everything he was really cool to day I saw him on the Numbers..

MtnGuyXC is offline   Reply With Quote