Old 06-06-2011   #1
Denver,, exhaustion
Alto-Alto wood?

what is the wood situation in alto- alto this year? I know last year a tree was down blocking a channel around the island. is it gone?

"We should restore the practice of dueling. It might improve manners around here" -Edward Abbey
adgeiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011   #2
boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Can alto alto be run in a cat? I've been thinking of scouting it i will let you know if I see a log. How far from the peak to peak is the island?

davecosnowboarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011   #3
Boulder, Colorado
The log I think you're thinking of was removed last year--that's the river-wide log that was below the main canyon drop. I've heard that the Texas Fisherman Retreat has grown in scope and to watch out for new dredging, etc., where their land is--has anyone been through yet?
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011   #4
Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1985
daveco- I've been down it a few times in a raft, Puma and a 10' raft. There was a guy that would row it in the mid 90's, but it's a little tighter then Clear Creek. In a raft the island rapid is more of a wide rocky pain, but the other stuff is fun. Don't know about the new additions at the fish club. Start up at the railroad bridge on the road to the moffat tunnel, made the run much more worth it, around 450cfs. Done it at 900 and 1100cfs, really fast and I was surprised that I had more fun at 450. If anyone is looking to raft it at current flows, the wall (a rock) at the end of the islands left channel is hard to miss, HIGHSIDE!
riojedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011   #5
boulder, Colorado
davecosnowboarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011   #6
Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1986
Hey Jed -

I just came across this old thread. I am the guy who used to row this in the 90's. Did it several times a week but always with a little paddle assist for those super tight spots. But when did you see us? In all of those runs we never saw a soul in there. How I miss Ned. I'll try to spend some time up there next summer and row it some more.

BruceB is offline   Reply With Quote