Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 06-21-2011   #21
Obey River Rat
Little Rock, Arkansas
Paddling Since: 1971
Thanks carvedog. Given the prediction of 6.7 or higher this weekend, we have opted for a base camp trip in the Payette watershed. We are pulling out of Arkansas first thing in the morning.

I have not won the $200 million Powerball lottery yet, so maybe my luck will saved for a permit on the Middle Fork again in 2012.

obeyriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011   #22
pocatello, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
Just came off the payette. Good trip overall. grandjean looked good to go though I just did a road scout. cabarton and main are great. staircase looked burly but there are lines. didn't see any trips in the SF canyon stretch. probably best not to probe it until the locals feel comfortable.

Have fun.

fiya79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011   #23
Carbondale, Colorado
have friends that are on the middle fork right now, launched last week. They had 4wd trucks going in, but certainly not high clearance. I would imagine by the time you get there the road will be 100% clear. bring a shovel and a lot of skinny pedal, you'll be fine
Rainen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011   #24
Dipshit with the most.
Bellevue, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
Josh is right about the Canyon stretch for the inexperienced. I did a paddle boat down there at this flow ( approx 4K.) and had an absolute ball. We did have multiple swimmers on a few of the big hits but no flips. And I had kayaked it about 20 times at that point. Also had a great crew dressed for gnarly swims, young and in good shape. The portage pullout was pretty scary. Glad it wasn't an oar boat to carry around.

I would not expect to see any commercial trips on the river at this flow though. Take it as you will. The Middle Fork is still calling to me and with this kind of weather...... could be awesome. Your main challenges will be Murphs, Velvet ( can sneak far, far left at 6.5 and above) and Pistol. And Pistol will have her way with you regardless of what you do. I think the best approach is to get in the current, ship your oars and hold on. Nothing in the lower canyon was very tough. Not even Rubber. Haystack is good fun. Lots of other fun to be had too. So weird and great to have virtually all the rocks covered. Good luck.
carvedog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011   #25
Obey River Rat
Little Rock, Arkansas
Paddling Since: 1971
Appreciate the specific information on the Payette. We have never been there so it will all be first descents for us.
obeyriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011   #26
Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1989
I'll be there Friday night for staircase and main. Look for a group of Sotar Cats. Ran staircase and main last night. Rowdy.

jmcdannel is offline   Reply With Quote