Old 06-03-2008   #11
Gunnison, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Come on. Dogs are dogs. Some times shit happens, but it is nothing to worry about. Just like people, not all dogs will get along. If it is a problem, just leash and separate the problem dogs.

I worked with a dog sled team last winter, and we kept dogs away from each other if it was a real issue.

Definitely worry about your own safety first when splitting up brawling dogs.

wild bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008   #12
Icebox, Colorado
Paddling Since: 98
Grifs Dog

Watch your dogs around this little guy when he's had too many turkey Legs and Schlitz.

grandyoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008   #13
Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 93
Devil Dog!^

Possessed for sure!

Forget the dogs, look out for the KILLER ATTACK SQUIRRELS!

BBC NEWS | Europe | Russian squirrel pack 'kills dog'

A "big" stray dog was nosing about the trees and barking at squirrels hiding in branches overhead when a number of them suddenly descended and attacked, reports say.

"They literally gutted the dog," local journalist Anastasia Trubitsina told Komsomolskaya Pravda newspaper.
"When they saw the men, they scattered in different directions, taking pieces of their kill away with them."
Snowhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008   #14
Lakewood, Colorasta
Paddling Since: 1997
Number one: this is the stupidest post I've ever read.
Number two: Do you know how many critters live in rivers? Your lucky you dont have necrotizing fascititis. It can kill you. . .
Number three: You guys need to work this out on your own and don't air your BS on the buzz. Calling each other out on a public forum is lame. My ten year old nephew's get along better than you.
Number four: Glad everyone is OK but seriously come on. . .
Phillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008   #15
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 05
The best way to split up a dog fight is to grab a large bucket or other container of water and dump it right on their faces. The growling results in snorting causing them to inhale water and they will back off each other.
Kicking, especially from behind, will cause fear in the dog, which is often more deadly than their rage.
Pulling their back legs won't work if the dog is stronger than the human pulling (as an akita often is) and could result in worse injuries from tearing teeth out of the flesh in which they are imbedded.
The minute it takes to get the water is worth it- I've seen it work once between adult male Boxers, and once between a pitbull/St. Bernard fight.

Originally Posted by Jensjustduckie View Post
I find that kicking works much better than putting my hands in the fight. We had a female Siberian Husky and a male Lab mix for 10 years that had a few really good brawls (the Husky was the alpha but only weighed in at 40lbs compared to the Lab mix at 85).

No hands!! You need them more than your ankles!
TakemetotheRiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008   #16
Butte, Montana
Paddling Since: 92
Ha ha. I know this post is old but I have to friggin comment on this post since I am a dog trainer and specialize in behavioral issues.

Some of the things said here are true. And some aren't. And yes the best way to break up a fight is to grab the hind legs and spin them out. No dog on 2 front legs is strong enough to beat even a 100 pound person. And as long as you have them hind legs you will not get bit.

Now, Akitas are know for aggression. Definetly not my favorite breed, but one thing that hasn't been brought up is the need for people to socialize their puppies early on. That's what stops this kind of shit from ever happening.

The dog that was trying to hump the other dog all night should have been reprimanded by it's owner. This is a sign of a power struggle and leads to fighting. Or it should be done by the humped dogs owner to show that you will be the one giving corrections for bad behavior.

And I am not talking corrections with a shovel or your boot. Nobody likes other people f-ing with their dogs and I understand that. But when lots of boaters get together with their dogs, you create a mulitple pack situation that needs to be addressed early on. Some dogs are aggressive for certain reasons not all are due to dominance. I have a yellow lab that is extremely aggressive in her first approach because she has been attacked by other dogs so many times and most were when she was puppy. She isn't tough at all she just pretends she is to try and put the scare into other dogs first. But when challenged she lays on her back really fast. So it's not just aggressive dogs that attack other dogs. I would be curious to see the chocolate lab reacts now after these fights that happened.

Anyway sorry to drag up another old post, but I think since so many people bring dogs to the river these days it's an important topic. And it sounded like to guys posting weren't too traumatized by the event.

Dogger is offline   Reply With Quote