Old 05-23-2007   #11

1st - it is all flow dependent. Lower @ 900 is easier than Kermits @ 600.

Cliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007   #12
Opinions are like *holes....

Originally Posted by cdw View Post
so if you want III I'd look elsewhere, probably clear creek from Kermits down.
I'm pretty damn sure Kermit's down requires class IV skills at this level. Did Alto-Alto for the first time last week at 700ish and I though it was easier than any of the lower runs on Clear Creek (or even Lawson down at a similar level.)

Lower South Bolder strikes me as the warmest run for this afternoon. I was hoping to put on around noon and I've got a shuttle bunny. If anyone is game, give me a shout. Might be a little chilly, but I really need to get out of the house so I don't spend all day talkin' smack on the 'buzz.

if i'd known it was gonna be that kinda party...
oopsiflipped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007   #13

1st - it is all flow dependent. Lower @ 900 is easier than Kermits @ 600.

Dumonts is mostly pool drop ledge holes. Dan has hit this run a 100 times & if you go with someone who knows it - Definitely takes some of the punch out. @ 600 this is a easier than Lower @ 900 or Kermits @ 600.

Alto-Alto has some willows, potential for wood & a couple of big holes above 600, but for the moves are fairly easy. More of a wilderness feel. I still feel at the current level of 450 it is the easiest of the bunch.

I have run both Kermits & Lower in the last week. Lower is definitely harder at these levels. But - if you walk elbow & 1/4 mile, Lower is easier. Still some good stuff & get to know the river. If you punch thru Elbow & nail 1/4 you will definitely feel confident in running some stuff.
I have had at least 3 friends that have pretty much quit boating after swimming at 1/4 mile.

While, I think there is something to be said about having your own crew and running things the first time with "fresh eyes". There are a bunch of us that are willing and would have fun showing new class 4 boaters the lines on these & many of the other Front range class 4 runs as they continue to come up.

As long as you have a completely solid roll and have either been progressing through the Poudre & the Arkansas, or hitting the playpark 3 times a week. PM Vince or myself & we will try to get you out there with us as we are going.

There is great opportunity to boat a lot, meet new people and see old friend in the next couple of months

Cliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007   #14
Denver Paddling Since: 2000
I ran Lower Clear Creek yesterday afternoon. I have not run any of the other runs mentioned, but I would stay away from Lower Clear Creek. It's a shallow, manky, hateful run next to a busy highway. The run is continuous class III with two class IV rapids, Elbow Falls, and Screaming 1/4 Mile. Screaming 1/4 is an easy "read-and-run" while Elbow should be scouted. Elbow has a hole on river left that looks like it's flushing in the high water. Regardless it's easy to miss, start center and move river right. There is a divergence dam near the end of the run that really sucks. The dam consists of two river wide ledge holes filled with sharp rocks and rebar. There is a line on river right, but the dam is more dangerous/scary than fun. I took out above it instead of finishing the run.

The higher level makes the rapids easier, but a swim would really freaking suck. The water is moving very fast over a shallow rocky river bed.

With that said, I had a great time yesterday and love boating that section of river because of its close location, but if you have options try a more "friendly" run.
davidcrockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007   #15
lower = way

i have to completely disagree with DC here.

out of the 4 runs mentioned, my opinion is that the lower run is the easiest, and most friendly.

it's my bread and butter, and is a great IV run - not too continuous, so it allows people to get their skills going.

I guess the opinions are all over the place because the runs are all pretty close in difficulty. (lower/upper (kermits)/alto/lawson).

my 2 cents says that alto is cold and somewhat "wilderness", kermits is more continuous (after double knife), and lawson has bigger holes.

plus, if you take the playboat, then you get some good surf down in teh park.

if you're chasing ratings, i personally don't think that class IV boating gets more friendly than the lower run.

Steve Kahn is offline   Reply With Quote