Old 07-26-2007   #1
Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
Allstar or SuperStar?

I am picking up a new boat this weekend and just want to be sure that I am making the correct boat size decision. Just like everyone else, I have had a blast paddling the Stars and have put money down on an Allstar to keep it on hold. I have paddled the new Allstar but have also paddled the Classic SuperStar. The SuperStar kind of was a tank, having to give it my all to get the bow down in an eddie line, but I am nervous about being a little over the weight class for the AllStar. I am 6' 190 lbs, needing to layoff the brews a little to at least get back down to 180. I am concerned that having to sit with the seat all the back and weighing what I do, I could expect a few bitch slaps from my stern grabbing while running. What do you think?

SuperCriticalFlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007   #2
Durango, Colorado
EJ is notorious for being conservative on the weight range of his boats. I'm 6'2 185 and the Super is way to big for me (IMHO). Haven't paddled the AllStar since we don't have one in our demo fleet this year. So my opinion would be to either go for the AllStar, or get into the Fun.

storm11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007   #3
Gypsum, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
I have the 06' superstar and at 6' 190lbs last summer I learned all my flat water tricks in it! Now what ever I get into I can wheel, as EJ him self says its all technique (he does it with out a paddle)! I have found him to be dead on when it comes to his weight rages so... Also remember that if you are going to want to loop big you will want the extra volume!
But that's just me opinion so take it for what it is.
stumpster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007   #4
I kayak DH.
Greater tri cities metro area, Colorado
I agree with stumpster, I'm 180-185 & have a superstar & love it, I had to paddle an allstar down the majority of gore last year & thought it was way small for me. I found the back got grabbed a bit & I'm only 5'8". The superstar is a great playboat & at my weight range is also the best river runner I've had.
Waterwindpowderrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007   #5
pnw, Washington
"Yesterday I was clever and tried to change the world. Today I am wise and try to change myself." -Rumi
gh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007   #6
Edwards, Colorado
Go with the Super Star. I am 6' between 185 and 190. I paddled the All Star and found it tail to be a bit grabby. When I asked EJ, he also said Super Star.

I wish they wouldn't have had production problems this year with the Super Star or I would have bought one but I am happy with my Agent 6.4.
outdoormikeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007   #7
Lyons, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
Send a message via AIM to erdvm1
6'1" 175 lbs
SUPER STAR all the way
You can go way bigger with the extra volume!! Plus river running is a little easier with the bigger boat....
either way you'll be stoked......
Go Dawgs!!!
Happiness is a way of travel not a destination
erdvm1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007   #8
Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
Thanks for the input. I am demoing a SuperStar on Sat.

SuperCriticalFlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007   #9
Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1990
I'm 6'2 and 190-195, and I have the superstar. I can cleanwheel it, loops are huge and it is the best boat I have ever had in terms of comfort (soo roomy), and it is DRY (can't say that about any pyrahna or liquid logic or dagger I've ever had).

It feels large because it is so comfy, but only until you get it on the river.
skiyakclimb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007   #10
supercrit, just curious to hear what you thought of the super?

boyImean is offline   Reply With Quote