Old 04-09-2008   #1
Thornton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
AllStar or Star?

I've demoed both. I was able to do stern stalls in about 5 minutes in the Star. I wasn't able to get the All Star dug in.

I'm 150 lbs with my gear on. I have a creek boat so if I want to run big stuff I'll use the creeker. I want to play and use the Star/All Star for easy runs (III/IV).

So should I get the All Star and learn how to throw it around, or go with the Star and be ready to get thrown around?

You ARE a soul, you HAVE a body.

rockinRio is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008   #2
Send a message via MSN to Jiberish
I think you would be fine in the star. Your right in the weight range for it. I could see the ALL Star being a little harder to throw around. However if you took a little more time with it it might lend some great ends, and huge loops. But its also might be a little harder to toss around in a hole, or a wave. I think if you also take time with it, you wont get tossed around in a lot of bigger water....and if you feel super uncomfortable, then your creeker might be the better choice for that run!
Hope this helps.
Ben Guska
Team Jackson

Jiberish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008   #3
, Wyoming
I would go with All-star!

I was kind of in the same situation with the All-star and the Super-star and I went with the all-star for a season and a half and now that I have been in the Super-star it is so much better for everything! It goes bigger, It surfers better and my flat water tricks are way more controlled in the Superstar! I would go with All-star if I were you, you will be happier in the long run!
paddle4eva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008   #4
I kayak DH.
Greater tri cities metro area, Colorado
I strongly agree with paddle4eva, go with the bigger boat, more air, easier loops, etc...

I'm 175 & love the superstar, great boat that I can do whatever I need it to in a hole, but it also feels like a strong river-runner when I'm in gore or somewhere where I'm getting tossed around a bit, great stability.

Plus then you don't need to look like a sally paddling a creeker down moderate runs!
Discover Denver, stay there!
Waterwindpowderrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008   #5
303, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005

I would try the AllStar a few more times. In the long run, it will be a much better boat for you, I think. I am smaller than you and I felt like the Star was too small but the All Star was way too big but I could throw it down with good outfitting and a little practice. Plus if you can use a larger volume boat you might as well, You will go way bigger.
Demo the boats a few more times. Did you feel comfortable river running in the star? It seems like it might not be so stable.

good luck!
"I would lick it up if it weren't all glassified and on concrete"
CUkayakGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008   #6
Summit, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Send a message via AIM to COUNT
Yeah. At 130, I can throw the Star around pretty well. I would think it would be a little small for you. You should be pretty comfortable in an Allstar at that weight.
"The world would be a better place if everyone kayaked."-Brad Ludden (Valhalla)
"You only get one chance to run a drop blind."-DD
COUNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008   #7
Cody, Wyoming
I agree with the above im 155 and have paddled both numerous times and the All Star is the better boat for river running and play. I can throw the Star around with no effort but when it comes to loops or anything with air it doesnt have the volume. When I have used the Star on our local class 4 ditch I get pushed around pretty bad and its really not as stable as the All Star.

Go with an All Star!
COLDFEAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008   #8
Front Range, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2007
Hey, I'm looking into getting one too. According to specs I should be in an All-Star at 165 5'8". Seems like I fall right into that range. I still need to get out and demo one though. Any recommendations on where to do so? I'm also interested in a WS Project. So if i could demo both that would be awesome. Thanks!
nmalozzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008   #9
Likes it wet.
Seattle, Washington
Paddling Since: 2006

Hey Nick.

I have an 07 Allstar (new one) and a Project 52 you can jump into. I bet you'll like the fit of the Allstar much better. More leg room and much more adjustable. Plus... it goes HUGE.

Let me know.
LiquidGuy87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008   #10
boat sizing

yeah, i'm 175, 5-9 or 5-10, and seems like i'm always in between the medium and big boats.

i got the mid size agent, and get by in it for river running, but am pretty tight in it. my experience has been that when it is cold and i put more layers on, in particular, i am too big for it and wish i had a bigger boat.

i'd say that if you're on the bubble, go bigger.

Steve Kahn is offline   Reply With Quote