Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 04-28-2007   #1
Akron, Ohio
Paddling Since: 2000
All you out there who own a Pyranha Burn, or have paddled one...

Hey, I've read the reviews about the Burn in the reviews section, but I'm looking for some pretty specific info...

Has anyone done any multiday's in your burn, and if so how did it pack and how many days were you on the river for?
I'm looking at doing 2, 4-6 day expeditions early this summer and I think the Herc is just a bit too big for me(165lbs) even with the boat loaded with gear, so I began thinking about the Burn L. We're going to be on a mixture of steep big water, and creeky stuff, so an old school long boat isn't going to do the trick. Is there much room between the top of the seat and the cockpit rim to get gear in the back, and also does the bulkhead system in the front permit gear to go infront of it to float a bit more balanced?

whitewaterjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007   #2
Boulder, Jackson Kayak, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Send a message via Skype™ to thecraw

I work for Jackson... but sounds like the Mega is what you are looking for. 165 will be a bit light for that size, but the Rocker also has expeditionary characteristics. First the rear is hugely accessable, the front bulkhead is hinged to allow gear to go up in front, and overall, they are both offer great performance when loaded down.

my 2 cents...

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather...To skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming... WOW !!!! What a ride!!!!!!"
thecraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007   #3
Denver, Colorado
Check out the Liquid Logic Gus. PM me if you want to buy mine. $450, good shape.

P.S. Craw only knows rec boats.
"I think I handled my alcohol pretty well considering how drunk I was." -Cousin Dan
Livingston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007   #4
The Mont, Colorado
First I work for Prijon/WildWasser Sport

Second you are the ideal size for the Hercules for what you have described.

No pillars. So you can load the stern easily for multiday trips.

The Herc boats smaller than its size. But makes everything easy.

Cheers from the Collinsville Canoe and Kayak Show.

Steve Sell
Bobby Whitit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007   #5
York, Pennsylvania
Hi Jason-
First of all, I paddle for Pyranha... so I can at least partially answer your questions about the boat you asked about... I haven't paddled a Burn on any multidays, but I have paddled other boats (mostly a Bliss-Stick Huka) on 3-5 day trips, so I'll do my best to speculate...

In terms of packing, I never really felt like I needed to balance out the boat by packing stuff in the front, but it's not too hard to pull the bulkhead out of the Burn if you want to (unscrew the 4 thumbscrews, do some twisting, and it'll pop out). I'd probably just load up two dry bags and put them on either side in the back. There's good clearance for getting stuff in and out back there, and the backband will get out of the way when you want to get into the back (The guys with me in LL boats had to take the backbands apart to get into the back- so also consider backband design).

Size wise, 165 would probably be a bit on the light end of the range for L Burn for normal paddling, but certainly not too light for it. I don't think you'd feel like it was too much boat. It would be be a great fit if you're loading it down. My experience has been that with weight in the boat, I want something that feels a little bit big for me, not necessarily something that's ideal weight range is "right" for my weight + gear weight. (so, if I'm carrying 30 lbs of gear, I'd want something that's going to be right for my weight plus maybe 15 lbs) Remember, you're adding weight, but not adding power to boss it around- so if you get into something a lot bigger, it'll just be that much more unresponsive.... Personally, at 150lbs, I paddle the M Burn normally, and would stick with the Medium if I were doing any multi-days.

....Or I could be totally wrong/full of crap. Let me know if you have any other questions.
RodeoClown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007   #6
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1994
I have done a few overnights with my burn. Really dig it. The only other boat I have paddled on overnight trips is the Nomad, and because of the low cockpit rim in the back of the nomad, it is a real pain in the ass to pack. None of those problems with the burn. It has a large cockpit, and its really easy to stuff things in the back. And, as mentioned in a previous post, the bulkhead is easily removed to put gear in the front of the boat (which I have done on a few occasions for longer trips). And I have been really happy with the way that it paddles loaded down even through the burl.
Also, I weigh 170 and am paddling the M burn, and that is pretty much perfect for my weight.
Hope that helps.
Chris Mo
Chris Morrison
CGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007   #7
dropzone, Colorado
hey, just got a large burn so I haven't done any multi days. but I can tell you that the stern access is much easier than with my liquid logic gus. there is more clearance because the seat is more of a playboat type seat and not at thick as the big rotomolded liquid logic seat. if you get the new outfitting (connect 30) it comes with loops attached to the back of the seat which make clipping gear in super easy. I probably wouldn't put gear in the front because it would be a pain to get to it, I would rather move the seat forward so my weight was more up front. good luck.

ACC is offline   Reply With Quote