Old 10-02-2009   #11
Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 2006
I've got the 16' AIRE 156R, and I love the boat. The floor ballast does seem to work - I hit the big wave in Specter in the Grand Canyon completely sideways(oops), and i was fairly shocked that I didn't flip. It feels really stable in big water.

atg200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009   #12
Fraser, Colorado
Paddling Since: 80's
I'm with Randaddy on the Maravia tracking and quickness. I have the 16' Mistral and it's a great multi-day family gear hauler. I just got off the Main Salmon a couple of weeks ago, and everyone on the trip commented on how effort-lessly I appearred to be lining up for runs that other boats had to work hard to get to. Maravia's are also American made in Idaho.

coloriverdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009   #13
Originally Posted by superpuma View Post
I like to load my 156R (SFP) with heavy gear, then at the Take-out the empty boat is light and easy to load. My older 143R (RFP) tends to carry quite a bit of mud or sand in the floor, needs opened and cleaned after every San Juan trip.
sounds like the ballust is a benefit in terms of keeping the boat right-side up, but how difficult is it to clean as you mentioned?? most of my floats are desert river trips, and so i assume it'd have to be cleaned every trip.
bth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009   #14
Pagosa Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1987
Not every Trip but - at least at the end of season. Zip open the floor, stand boat on end and hose it out.
Any Day on the River is Better Than----
superpuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009   #15
Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
Our rafting club bought an Aire raft (don't remember the model) a few years ago, and quickly traded it in on a Hypalon raft. If you float desert rivers, the zippers are a huge pain. They let in the fine sand particles which wears little holes in the bladders. It was like having fine grain sandpaper constantly working on the bladders. Plus the zippers themselves get dry and jammed up with the silt, and are next to impossible to unzip. The maintenance issues with this boat became a nightmare after one season. Working on this boat produced lots of profanity!!!!!!
I'm strictly a Cat boater, but love the quality of my Maravia tubes. Made in Boise, excellent customer service, easy to maintain, and a 10 year warranty.
I have a friend who has had a Willy 2 for 11 years and loves it to death. He carries a ton of gear, plus passengers & a dog and can still weave his way down the Middle Fork at 1.5ft. with ease. After 11 years we finally had to put the first patch on his floor on our Middle Fork trip last month. It was a quick & easy job. No zippers, no bladder to remove, patch, & re-install, no cussing & swearing.
cataraftgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009   #16
Groveland, California
Maravia offers a couple of their ~16' models with diminishing tubes (Typhoon, Zephyr, etc.) Claims of more interior space and less frontal area = less wind resistance make sense, but what are the performance pros/cons of diminished tubes when the boat is being used as a family oarboat?

Just started researching for a larger boat purchase next year.
HPMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009   #17
The Russian
SLC, Utah
Paddling Since: 2005
I just purchased Typhoon, they are making it and will be here in a few weeks. I will post a full review of it. I have been rowing Riken Nez Perce boat (16 foot diminishing from 22 to 16 inches on bow/stern) and I love it.

You do get wetter, but that's what my family loves when they go. You do get much more space on the front and back. It has the same capacity as regular tubes since the diminishing tubes are out of the water anyways, so there is no contact with the water to keep the buoyancy up. I also noticed by riding in regular tubes that the ride in my boat is smoother. When I go into the wave/hole, my boat seems to not bump as much as the regular tubes do. The diminishing tubes tend to puncture the wave and glide over it. Also, my wife loves the extra space on the bow to have for the kids.

Typhoon/Zephyr is a new design for 2009.
kazak4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009   #18
Looking at the Maravia site, that Typhoon looks like a really nice boa- and I've been a bit concerned about what was mentioned in an earlier post re: sand/silt getting into the zippers. I'll be looking into the Typhoon as well!
bth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009   #19
Groveland, California
Thanks for the info Kazak, sounds like a great boat. Very interested in seeing some pics and reading your review when it arrives.....I bet you can't wait!
Old 10-07-2009   #20
Groveland, California
What base material are Maravias made from? Their web site and literature says "Thermofused Class VI base fabric with seamless urethane encapsulation" with no mention of what the base material actually is.

Are they welded PVC with a urethane coating?