Old 04-10-2014   #11
Portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2008
I have owned and paddled the closed foam floor lynx. Disregard the people that tell you it will take on doesn't. It is closed cell foam. The only significant downside is that the boat won't roll up. That is all... As mentioned above, it is in 3 pieces so it can be folded but it is really just easier to treat it like a hard shell and strap it to the roof.

Some people love the foam floor. I feel like it is a very small difference overall. The floor is a bit lower on the foam floor boats, making them seem a bit more stable to me. $350 is a good deal if the zippers all work well, the valves are solid, and any patches are well applied.

You can tell the age of the boat by looking at the last two numbers of the serial number.

Also, take a look at the condition of the cargo loops, they can be damaged over time and are not easy to replace.

Last side note...if it has the ~1996 really weird wedge chair, replace this immediately. They are terrible...Sotar IK seats are on sale until April 12 for like $46 or something.

but can you see its opposition | comes a-rising up sometimes | that it's dreadful and position | comes blacking in my mind | ....and then I see a darkness
laterwagged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014   #12
Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1980
Mine took on water and when this was mentioned to Aire they told my friend who I sold it to that it is bound to happen they correctly guessed the boats age and as mentioned told him he would need to replace the floor. It may be why they quit making it. The boat was still useable but heavier both in the water and out. May not be a noticeable issue in an IK. But I didn't just come up with this story.

Sembob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014   #13
Have a 18 yo lynx cell foam floor. Ours looks like new we keep it in the garage litly inflated and tie it up side down on the vehicle. I have only taken it apart twice in the time we've owned it. My brother had the same thing but used it as a lake toy for his kids also it stayed wet for weeks at a time and the floor rotted. To tell if a floor is rotted out you just have to poke it. You will know.
sj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014   #14
Nashville, Tennessee
Paddling Since: 2014
I contacted the guy and he had sold it but that might fall thru due to shipping.
The boat has hardly been used was stored mostly the lately, supposed to be in great shape. If I am able to get it what kind of straps should I used to tie down on the roof?
He also has a couple extra foam floors, should I get one and try cutting it in half for easier hauling?
nashwillisX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014   #15
Enfield, New Hampshire
Paddling Since: 1990
Regular cam straps work fine. I wouldn't cut the foam at all. It may cause buckling on the water in rapids.
Just my 2 bits.
JIMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014   #16
Nashville, Tennessee
Didn't think cutting them was a good idea, saw someone mention it though.
Would you get 12 or 15 ft can straps or a different length?
Old 04-15-2014   #17
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1974
foam floor

I have a foam floor lynx. I don't have any problem removing the foam from the floor. I tied some loops to the zipper to make it easier to open and close the zipper. I remove the floor after every trip. With the floor out the boat rolls up into a small package.

I would advise against cutting the floor.

When I am transporting the floor inside my Subaru wagon I stand the floor up like a horseshoe and the middle of the floor is up against the ceiling.

I have never noticed the foam absorbing water.

I have transported the boat on my roof rack inflated. I think 9' straps were long enough over the top of the boat, but that was last summer and I might of added another piece to the 9' strap.

I will admit the boat is not as convenient to transport as my air floor IK.

The kid prefers to paddle the foam floor boat versus the trib.
merritrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014   #18
Fort Collins
Just as another option if you do happen to get it. If you try it, and the foam floor is not working for you, you can get the air cell floor for $375 from Aire. They have instructions for retrofitting them, and I don't think it would be hard. Just another option if you are interested. I think I have sold my brother-in-law on this idea with his lynx ii.
"If I'm not there, it means I'm dead...or late!" General W.R. Monger
co_bjread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014   #19
Nashville, Tennessee
Originally Posted by merritrd View Post
The kid prefers to paddle the foam floor boat versus the trib.
Which one do you prefer? I was also looking at the tributary tomcat.
Old 04-17-2014   #20
Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1980
I had the Puma with the solid floor and was numbed they quit doing it. I thought it was awesome. But that was in a boat that I stood in a fair bit. I think I would like that floor in any boat. Even if you had to replace the foams every decade or so. That being said, my opinion should be taken with a grain of salt as an IK may be different as you are always on the floor.

Sembob is offline   Reply With Quote