Old 12-09-2010   #11
N/A, North Carolina
Paddling Since: 2010
I say go with the small!

I got into creeking and bought a burn this year and upsized to large because I was in the middle of the medium and toward the bottom of the large weight ranges.

I got the large and found myself in some rather sketchy situations trying to get it where I wanted to go and fast. I was new to kayaking so a lot of it was user issues but I have heard from numerous people that it would be easier to control a smaller boat.

This mustache has a weight limit!
NathanH. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010   #12
I'm 5'11 and 170 lbs. I paddle a large Burn.

At your weight and height, you should get the medium Burn. I'm referring to 2010 model. I've paddled both. If you were to buy an older Burn I would tell you to get the L. If you get a 2010 model, the medium will give you enough extra volume for your safety equipment and overnight gear if you ever choose to go that route. When the boat is light it will ride higher in the water so the edges will respond better IMO. The higher in the water the Burn rides, the faster it goes.

Kyle McCutchen
Cutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010   #13
Fairfield, Iowa
Paddling Since: 2009
Awesome, thank you all again for your replies, medium it is.

It sounds like it might take a little longer to get used to it as I am transitioning primarily from playboats, but that doesn't really worry me, the benefits of overnight possibilities, staying more on the surface, maintaining speed, resurfacing quicker, etc. seem like they outweigh a slower learning curve, that is, for me and where I am wanting to go with my boating.

I am excited for a season of learning and exploration, thank you for helping me to be confident in my decision

holytamales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010   #14
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
It depends on if you want something small and maneuverable or something that's a little faster, slower turning, but guaranteed to keep you on the surface.
Tell me where I can find this kind of boat ; ~ }

"You know that old trees just grow stronger and old rivers grow wilder, everyday..."
ednaout is offline   Reply With Quote