Old 04-05-2005   #1
Seattle, Washington
Paddling Since: 1999
Send a message via AIM to JCKeck1
Advice on Costa Rica

I'm going to Costa Rica at the end of this month and was looking to do some paddling. I know it's the low dry season, but I read that there are rivers that flow year round. I'm interested in finding a place that will rent me gear and I'd like to find someone to paddle with. I don't want to spend a lot of money on week long trips or expensive guides. I'd like to paddle easier class V, but could settle for III/IV. Any advice?
(303) 594-9733

JCKeck1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2005   #2
this is jesse from AT. i am in mexico at the moment heading down to costa rica. i am not exactly sure when i will be there but it could be around the time your there. from my understanding there is a town named turialba, i think. it is the center of most of the rafting and kayaking in costa rica and you should be able to find gear to rent there and people to go with. you should email me when you get down there and if i am around i would be down to go on some runs. my email is
teine cuidado

04EVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2005   #3
Turrialba is a great place and you can find good boating around there. I was there in high water, but the two main rafting rivers around Turrialba, Reventazone and Pacuare will be flowing. The raftable sections are III-IV and since the reventazone is Dam release from a resevoir I think the flow there should be similar to high water. Any of the rafting companies in Turrialba will rent you a boat and let you come along with there rafting trips for a very reasonable price. However, in Turrialba while boats are easy to find, though older models mainly, paddles are not. It can take a long time to get you hands on a paddle, but if you work for it you can get one. I also know that the Savegre river, class III, near Manuel Antonio flows years round. There are sure to be others, but those three will be a good start.
BrianK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2005   #4
Joe looking for some warm water boating? Costa Rica has it. I just got back from Quepos/Manuel Antonio a couple of days ago. You can warm up on the Rio Savegre(class III). If you get a couple of days in on the Sevegre. You can test your skills on the Chorro section of the Upper Rio Naranjo(class IV/V-) Rio Tropicales can help with shuttle and kayak rental based out of Quepos. Rentals can be expensive. $40 a day just for the boat. I left my gear down there. It's for sale. Liquid Logic Big Wheel/werner bent-shaft paddle/bomber gear spray skirt/stholquist brick PFD/wildwasser helmet. Everything you need to go kayaking for $650 dollars. Best to buy a boat you could sell It for as much, after your trip especially in Turriaba. It has been Raining so flows were good and should be getting better. Good Luck
hydrofu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2005   #5
Joe ,Manuel Antonio is a Pacific beach town so surf is up also. forgot to mention that important info. later
Old 04-06-2005   #6
Hey hydrofu I'm headed to that area on Friday...Dominical...I was interested in the ocean surf scene I've been trying to line up a boat but haven't had any luck.. Does Rios Tropicales have a setup in Quepos? What's the situation around there with paddlers versus surfers? Any territorial issues?
Old Fart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2005   #7
!hola old fart,
Yes there is a Rio Tropicales in Quepos. Leo and Arturo own this one. They are both kayakers. Tell Arturo that Clay sent you ,also mention that I said he's a chachi(and not the Spanish meaning of the word). The surf in Manuel Antonio is crowded and you will probably piss some people off. Look no further than where the some of these rivers dump into the ocean(Rio Sevegre),here there is nobody home. Mostly because your part of the food chain, there's croc's and sharks. At least its safer in a kayak!!! hydrofu
Old 04-06-2005   #8
Rios Tropicales

The Rios Tropicales outfit in Quepos is called H 2 O Adventures, and is run by some friends of mine, Leo, Arturo and Rolondo. They rent boats, and may be able to arrange paddles, and will take you on there rafting trips if they have them booked. They do not raft the upper naranja, but do run the lower and the savagre. They also do trips on the rio general (3-day trips). Anyway, they are good contacts for the area, and can tell you where to surf nearby. Dominical is a popular board-surfing spot, but it is a long beach, so I'm sure you can find a spot with no surfers and aggression. Good Luck.
dregina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2005   #9
Rio Tropicales does run the upper Rio Naranjo they just started this year. I saftey boated the section. Sick little canyon!!!
Old 04-06-2005   #10
As far as surfing Dominical is concerned.......

The main peak that the locals and "ex pats" commandeer is right out in front of a little spot called Tortilla Flats...prolly best to steer clear of that spot.....The beach is indeed long, and if there is swell, you won't have any problem finding your own peak further South down the beach.....

If you are not a board surfer, but are entertaining the idea of picking it up, Dominical is not a very good choice unless the swell is very small. This break is one of the most dangerous in all of CR and has claimed something like 23 lives in the last several years.......Mostly tourists, unaware of the strong rip currents associated with the break. It is the only beach (that I know of) in CR that has lifeguards, which the local community donates money to fund........

Turialba is definitely the most common base for boating, look for the Hotel Interamericano run by a lady named Blanca........she can hook you up with pretty much any info you need....

Have fun, and don't drink too much Guaro

MAGS is offline   Reply With Quote

costa rica