Old 04-07-2005   #11
Local, Colorado
Send a message via AIM to paddlebizzle
I have been to CR several times, and stopped by H20 Adventures in Quepos, as well. I have seen both sharks and crocs at the delta because food is so plentiful in the brackish waters. Take out well before the ocean or keep your eyes open both in the water and right on shore or you might become a tasty snack.

The surf in Dominical is definitely known for strong rips, so don't start there. There are lots of uncrowded beaches with good surfing to risk getting in trouble there.

I'm not sure the local situation this time of year. I've definitely been warned by Ticos and Americans alike that if you venture into the waves with a boat, stay the hell away from surfers. If you give kayak-surfing a shot, do it in the early morning or late evening when the sets have less people. I would avoid surfers as much as possible unless you are very comfortable in the waves, controlling your boat, and punching through to the outside set.

Pura Vida

paddlebizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005   #12
Blanka at the hotel Ameicano is a nazi psycho, dont go there unless you want to pay top dollar for everthing you do, and use. there are way cheaper places to stay, that are pretty cool. maybe just go there to meet up with a crew. I have no idea why that hotel is so big with boaters (being the cheap dirtbags we are). There is a guy down there named Diego....he's the shit. he can take you wherever you need to go, so my advise is to head up to terrialba by bus, and find him. his number is 506-363-4539 If you really want to go somewhere pimp and new, and have some dough to spend, go to Rafiki Safari Lodge...its on the Rio Saverge. This place can hook you up with some horses and get you to some of the cool stuff we did in C.O.H actually, almost the whole costa seg is from around there. There is picture perfect low volume creeking, and big, big water as well. I suggest hitting up the trib. to the saverge by horse (tell them you want the same run we did filming...trey and friends that is) class IV+ with a sweet lunch spot half way cant beat it! There are long slides to thirty footers all walkable. Note: be off the creeks by 3 or 4 unless you want to get flooded out and have an epic. one more have to bag this 1st D we missed out on. it was too low when we were there. it looks really cool, with a perfect 45 footer at the end.. Diego knows it...its the one on private property...a cow farm. tell him to take you there if there is high water.
have fun, dont get eaten by a crocodile or go to Jaco and get herpes!

ology is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005   #13
Lyons, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
Send a message via AIM to erdvm1
Joe, Jen and I just got back from CR last week. Give me a call.
Go Dawgs!!!
Happiness is a way of travel not a destination
erdvm1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005   #14
Trey is right, if you get a chance to to Rafiki. I was there 2 years ago with Rusher, Arden and Trask doing some filming and they know the good stuff. It will probabaly be to low this time of year, but if you can check out the upper upper division. It starts our low volume creeking, and end with some pretty big water. You can then float the Savagre down to Rafiki. Careful on the slide at Rafiki, we almost lost Selznik..

KenDriscoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2005   #15
ha, ha.
we almost lost dave there too.
check out the gallery for the pic, its pretty funny.

ology is offline   Reply With Quote

costa rica