Old 02-25-2011   #11
Carbondale, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1990
The difference between IV and V is CONSEQUENSES!! If your even thinking about your roll, follow the above advice. Basically, if you ask me, swimming a V is NOT an option. Good advice stated above is paddle the III and IV in peak flows, do some attainments, and when you are ready for the V's, go with someone who knows the water and thinks safety first! Any of us that have paddled here long enough know how easy it is to die in these rivers... we've all lost someone we know, usually super experienced, sick boaters! Take it easy.

rjacober is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011   #12
Carbondale, Colorado
And remember, if you put yourself in a life threatening situation, your asking those with you to risk their own to save your ass!

Old 02-25-2011   #13
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
This is going to sound a little harsh, but you should not be paddling class V in your second season, period. The goal of kayaking is to paddle rivers under control, not to survive the hardest river you can. I didn't witness your Bailey run, but I'd be willing to bet it was survival boating, and survival boating is not safe.

Like DSP said, step it back to III-IV and work on making harder moves. Take some trips to other quality III-IV rivers that you have not paddled. The Ark and Clear Creek are a good places to get better. Also, you are going to feel rusty after a winter off. Don't expect to feel as comfortable in April as you were in August.

Some people would disagree with this, but as far as runs go, I think that Gore is much safer than Clear Creek of the Ark. Gore later in the season with a good guide might be a good goal.
jmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011   #14
Carbondale, Colorado
Some more solid advice jmack! One thing to remember is that every run is different and every water level is different. Clear Creek and the Ark, along with slaughterhouse are all fairly low flow runs, differing greatly from high flows on the Colorado. Gore can be smooth and safe, or super sketch! Clear Creek has some iffy spots, like Rigor, but generally, you can eddy out almost anywhere. That is where the difference in consequenses lie. If you mess up in Barrel, (Colorado above Shoshone), your screwed!
Old 02-25-2011   #15
time in the saddle is key. my second year had 90 days paddling which included poudre lower & middle narrows, a grand canyon trip, finishing with the gore canyon race.
mrkyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011   #16
Carbondale, Colorado
River trips are the BEST for getting paddling time. Do as many as possible. (Just have to bribe the rafters to carry your crap.)
Old 02-25-2011   #17
Rocky Mountain Hooliganz, Rocky Mountain High
Paddling Since: 2007
GREAT ADVICE on here for sure!! I was in the same shoes as you, and got the same advice from everyone on here 4 seasons ago! Turn class II/III into class IV/V-, and then your stylin!! Best advice ever!! Since then, I've slowed things down and have taken some swiftwater rescue and instructor courses to learn better techniques and safety precautions (I also have 2 kids and a wife, so 3 faces expect to see my face everyday). So yes, I play it a lot safer now! The long swim through screaming quarter mile (lower clear creek) at high water also helped me!! Ha Haa!!

I totally agree that there's a HUGE difference with styling something and surviving something!! I've found that white-knuckle survival runs aren't as FUN as stomping the S*** out of something! This applies to any sport! Have fun and be safe out there!! See you on the river!!

Dream as if you'll live forever; Live as if you'll die today - James Dean
islandertek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011   #18
N/A, North Carolina
Paddling Since: 2010
Thanks for all the advice, I know I will be slowing it down. The major portion of Bailey that caused me to go white knuckles was running the steeps without scouting them. I ran four falls and walked SM along with Deer Creek as those were way too big.

Looks like I will just be doing what I did most of last year which is go and have a great time with my buddies doing everything I can to make the runs more difficult.

I appreciate the advice and don't think anything said was harsh in any way.

See you on the river,
Nathan H.

This mustache has a weight limit!
NathanH. is offline   Reply With Quote