Old 11-30-2006   #1
Advice for first international paddling trip

Going to the Dominican Republic in a month and it will be my first international paddling trip. Any hints or tips from the more experienced? Things to bring I might otherwise forget? I'm taking my shredder so I don't have to worry about flying with a kayak, but am wondering how to get paddles in my luggage. Doubt they'll fit in my large duffel and don't want to pay for an extra bag.

if i'd known it was gonna be that kinda party...
oopsiflipped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006   #2
Boatin', Colorado
Take nothing more than a shorty drytop - if that. You get two check in bags - if you HAVE to take your paddle put it in a surfboard bag. You will not need more than one duffel bag of clothes or anything else. You can normally put two peoples clothes into one duffel bag on the way down, leaving the other persons two bags empty and full of duty free liquour on the way back. Leave anything that you do not want stolen in America, nothing of sentimental or real financial value i.e. jewelery.

One of the biggest mistakes of going "Down South" is people pack too much. It's warm weather, and you can wear the same thing day in day out, except boxers of course, you're not there to impress anyone. As long as you smile, wave, and at least try to speak their language the locals will be impressed with you - dirty/smelly clothes and all , unless you're a prick.

Take any t-shirts that you no longer wear to give to the local kids. No mater the size. And stickers. Ecspecially if the stickers or shirts have any thing to do with surfing or kayaking. It's worth going and spending ten bucks on stickers before going. They eat that shit up. IMHO

Have fun, enjoy, be safe!

Peev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006   #3
Self-Aggrandizing jackass
The Ranch, Colorado
Paddling Since: 04
If you get the runs, don't take anything like Immodium that is designed to stop it. It can be dangerous, very dangerous.

If your body gets a bacteria and tries to flush it out, let it flush it out. Trying to stop diarhea is giving the bacteria a home to breed and grow in.
heliodorus04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006   #4
Don't display expensive electronics such as IPods or cameras. Don't wear anything saying USA or sporting an American Flag. I know some people who have a Canadian Maple leaf stitched to their backpack to avoid possible political conflicts with the locals.
farp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006   #5
People with Golf bags don't pay extra I don't think for luggage. You may want to see if you could borrow something of that nature to hide the paddles. I would have to disagree with the shorty only clothing.

When I went to Costa Rica I got eaten alive by some sort of Horse Fly while boating in the jungle. You might want to think about protection of that nature. I think in one of the twitch videos they boat down in the Dominican Republic. Might give you an idea of what different rivers entail.
Old 12-01-2006   #6
Ridgway, Colorado
Keep the legs covered while on the river. I came back from Ecuador with bites from some river critters all the way around my legs just above the booties.

Have fun!
jwolters4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006   #7
Indian Hills, Colorado
Douse your food in lime juice...helps kill bacteria. In Mexico I rely on a shot of tequilla and a pepto tablet before every dinner and a shot after dinner for good measure. Has worked well in the past. I swear that Airborne stuff helps too. 100% deet, there's just no substitute for me. US $20's for emergencies, they're universally accepted across the globe.

Perhaps a break-down paddle? Good advice on stickers and logo tees above.

DanOrion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006   #8
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Send a message via AIM to J
You can put your paddles in a ski bag. We did this on a Costa Rica trip a few years ago - no problems. We also stuffed all our gear in our boats, and put them in boat bags. I've still got the bag if you want to borrow.
J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006   #9

Man, don't wear a Canadian flag. Dear Lord. Be proud of who you are and show that America has quality people by being a quality person and not a FAKE.
neckybliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006   #10
Spits Hot Fire
N. Cascades, Washington
Travel light.

FLOWTORCH is offline   Reply With Quote