Old 12-03-2006   #11
Eagle, Colorado
Send a message via AIM to matts Send a message via MSN to matts Send a message via Yahoo to matts Send a message via Skype™ to matts
If you are worried about boat weight and about breaking paddles, use a SporTube (hard case for skiis - we stuffed 5-6 bent shaft paddles in the double case and some gear on a few different international trips. no arguments, no questions. funny thing... the day we were leaving small world last year, some folks showed up with broken paddles eyeballing our ski case... food for thought.

Alpine Arms
Team Dagger
matts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006   #12
When I take my inflatable I carry 2 take apart paddles,a four piece is nice but a 2 piece 210 barely fits in the duffel,if you break or lose a paddle your'e not likelely to find anything other than a sea kayak or canoe paddle.What do you paddle a Shredder with anyway ,kayak or raft paddle? I don't even take a drytop{to the tropics} just wear a rash guard to keep from getting sunburnt and eaten alive by bugs, do take my bomber pants for bushwhacking.Carry your clothes in a small daypack,you can carry on,or everything will reek like river booties and be damp,stuff doesn't dry very fast in the humid climate.
Take some minimal patch kit,but this might invite scrutiny because it's chemicals. It can get chilly at night take clothes you can layer. Leave the Rolex and palm pilot at home. Dry the boat good or it might weigh too much, Wear an ' i didn't vote for him" tee shirt,jk.
Have Fun!!Keep it wrapped ,Haiti's on the same island!

ps one of those water bottles with katydyn filter works out real well

cayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006   #13
i use a raft paddle in the shredder. it's like c1ing, but with no offside strokes or roll, so definitely not the easiest way to get down the river, but i have fun. also easy to fly with and i'll be paddling it with my girlfriend for a couple days, too. i'll probably try and take 4 paddles. i thought i saw t grips to make two breakdown raft paddles out of a carlisle kayak paddle, but i don't know where.

i've heard the DR has colder water than one might think. thanks for telling me to keep my paddling gear separate from my other clothes. i'd have stunk worse than usual the whole time!
if i'd known it was gonna be that kinda party...
oopsiflipped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006   #14
Don't plan on buying any essential gear once you arrive. You might be able to, but you also might not. Pack you gear so they can't tell what it is from the outside (or disguise as surfboard) and smile when you check in. Asking for special permission ahead of time invites surcharges and/or refusal of service. Airline employees like nice, friendly, professional-looking peope with luggage that looks familiar.

Have fun!
johnny portage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007   #15
put your paddles in a ski bag

ski bags are free and paddles fit into them nicely.

they just might think it's a little odd trying to ski in D.R.

darcyg is offline   Reply With Quote