Old 07-14-2004   #1
Adding weight to a boat????

I am 175 lbs and have a Booster 60. Due to leg length a 55 is not an option. Needless to say, I'm underweight for the boat for doing anything but full out creeking. Any suggestions on how to add weight to it? Any little bit counts, I was thinking about making some small sandbags and placing them under the seat (shaping them to fit the underside of the butt mold) that would get me another ten pounds maybe. Any other ideas? (besides eating a ton of twinkies and and cupcakes)

lanky_boater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2004   #2
Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1984
Get a bunch of safety gear- at least there would be a purpose to the extra weight. Get a pin kit (biners, pulleys, nylon runners, spectra prussiks) and maybe a little pocket saw. That'll add about 5 pounds once it's all wet & in a bag. Then secure a couple of "backup" water Nalgenes to the inside pillar, plus a good 1st aid kit. That should work. Sandbags are a little excessive and messy if they break.

El Flaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2004   #3
Amsterdam, Netherlands
don't forget a break-down paddle. with a fully geared up boat you should have no problems making weight not to mention being an asset to your bros.
tboner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2004   #4
Yeah, definitely some good ideas in there as far as some gear I hadn't thought of (first aid, etc). I'll see what other gear I can add.
lanky_boater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2004   #5
I've thought about a similar solution, and I would suggest you follow your initial idea in as much as you want to keep it centered and balanced. maybe you can find a way to use the fancy seat system to still cram it all under there.

or go buy a new boat...
redbeard is offline   Reply With Quote