Billings, Montana
Paddling Since: 08
awesome, thanks i appreciate it!

sniper1112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011   #12
Idaho, Wyoming
action seat mods

Originally Posted by sniper1112 View Post
I'm builing a frame and considering using a folding "fishing" seat made by Action, similar to those made by wise, without the swivel of course. I know that Outcast uses these for their rowing seats with a bracket. Any insight/experience that can help??

i have several of these seats including one on an outcast pac 1000. the method of attatchment is different on the outcast than that of the seats from nrs and other distibutors. the nrs action seats come with some lame screws to attatch the seat to the swivel or seat plate. these inevitably loosen and become stripped, usually pretty quickly. on the outcast seat the screw holes go all the way through the seat. the seat is then through bolted with carriage bolts and plastic knobs in place of nuts so you can easily loosen it for adjustment.

over the years, i've taken all my seats and modified them in the same way by removing the seat cushion and drilling the screw holes all the way through, then using carriage bolts and nylock nuts to fasten the seat to the swivel/mounting plate. this set up has never failed for me.

as mentioned in posts above, the seat hinge pin is another problem that i am slowly dealing with by replacing the pin with bolts and nuts as well. in the mean time i keep heavy duty zip ties with me. when a hinge pin loosens or gets lost, 2-3 zip ties through the pin hole will keep the seat back in place for a long time until you get a chance to use real hardware.

even though this may seem like a lot of work, once these changes are made the seats will hold up pretty well and nrs has every replacement part for these including the seat cushion buttons which sometimes break when removing the cushion for the thru-bolt modification. these parts are not listed on their website and are inexpensive.

the bottom line is that with a little work these seats are still very economical, lightweight and comfortable for fishing seats. i still wouldn't use them for rowing.

billfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011   #13
Originally Posted by kazak4x4 View Post

For $25 you can't go wrong trying this seat. If it breaks 2 times, I am still better off replacing it than buying the overpriced NRS seat. I've had mine for 2 years now of heavy use. No problems yet.
Sorry kazak, got to bust your chops a little on this one....so you are saying after custom Maravia, custom frame, drybox, and high end cooler, it came down to saving a few bucks on the rowing seat? Lol
Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011   #14
The Russian
SLC, Utah
Paddling Since: 2005
Originally Posted by Osprey View Post
Sorry kazak, got to bust your chops a little on this one....so you are saying after custom Maravia, custom frame, drybox, and high end cooler, it came down to saving a few bucks on the rowing seat? Lol
Heh alright you got me
But I really do like my seat. I've tried high and low back NRS seats and couldn't get comfortable in it. Most of my river buddies sit on NRS seats though and give me a hard time about mine... oh well
kazak4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011   #15
Can't disagree with using what works for you, all that really masters in the end.

I have a highback and lowback NRS and still end up just sitting on my dry box and have an Action seat on my fishing cat. Guess I haven't found my sweet spot yet. Haha
Old 02-27-2011   #16
sh$t show voyeuor/host
Barnard(Marshall), North Carolina
Paddling Since: wen?
actually I have one on the front of my puma and my girlfriend hasn't broke it yet, but she doesn't weigh 200+. They are great fishing seats, but they have a definate weight limit/breaking point. If your a gorilla or row the gnar
I'd go with the tractor seat in the photo, its probably made in the same factory as NRS's
matt cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011   #17
make sure and just read the descriptions on looking other places for one like in the picture. I've found some that look the same on top but say the frame is plastic instead of metal. all the NRS ones are metal frame, can definitely find same ones cheaper.