Old 06-08-2010   #11
Denver, Colorado
I blew my knee out snowboarding and had surgery 6 weeks ago to repair my exploded ACL. I went to Dr. Douglas Foulk at Panorama Ortho, and he did a fantastic job. Got full ROM back in 3.5 weeks and I cant wait to get back home to get back in my boat. Do some research about doc's, but there are a bunch of good knee surgeons in CO. Good luck with everything, recovery sucks balls if your an active person since it just takes time, more than anything else, to heal.

kashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010   #12
Lyons, Colorado
My wife and I have used Grauer in Boulder for surgery and injections. He's good. Not too aggressive, but not overly conservative either.

loot87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010   #13
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
PT in Boulder: I like Chris West, search for West Therapies. Good luck with the injury.
KSC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010   #14
Idledale, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
Boulder Sports Medicine was great for me with a torn PCL. Now I have a torn ACL, two meniscus tears and a blood clot in my calf. Fun times. They are fixing my knee tomorrow - yippee! I am having Dr Eric Stahl at Panorama (Golden) do my surgery. He is supposed to be really great. I am having PT at Evergreen Phys Therapy and Molly has been really awesome there (I had pre-surgical PT). I have also heard some of the PTs at Panorama's facility are really good. Hope you have a speedy recovery. Best of luck!
lindazco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010   #15
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1978
I think you should definately get a second opinion. If there is any question, get the surgery.

Heck, where's Bryan...he'll post some good info when he sees this.
NolsGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010   #16
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 09
I had my knee done with Dr. Keith Fujisaki in Denver. Almost everyone in Denver has a knee guy. From what I hear, most of them are good, because they all do so many knee surgeries. I chose him, because he specializes in Sports Medicine. I liked because he didn't try to push me to do the surgery. He gave the option of just monitoring my knee by doing an MRI on it every 6-12 months. I chose to go ahead and get the knee surgery, because I couldn't do an easy bike ride without pain.

Your surgeon will have suggestions for PTs. They have people that they like better than others.

Good luck!
goofy_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010   #17
Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Surgeon: Dr. Eric McCarty - Boulder Sports Medicine. He ROCKS!!!
PattyNYCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010   #18
Eagle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2007
I've worked with Dr. Hackett of Steadman Hawkins. For starters he is an avid athlete and enjoys the outdoors. This is more important than one might think. You can tell he's smart as heck, but he's not the medical nerd that will look at you too crazy when you ask if you can get back in your boat two weeks after surgery. I knows where your coming from.

There are many orthopedists who want to go in and tear apart the engine that is your knee. Dr. Hackett seemed to take the opposite approach which I believe is best. You get in, do what you need to do and then you get the hell out. He also said "get lighter, get stronger and get more flexible. Surgery won't fix any of that".

I'll also say that with two ACL's carried out, the therapy is in many cases just as important as the operation. Howard Head clinic is top notch. My two cents.

brian a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010   #19
Roaring Fork Valley, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
I recommend surgery with a heavy batch of consistant PT. Dr. Pevny in Aspen did a fantastic job, and I'm nearly 100% 5 months out, COULDN'T be happier with my decision to go for it!! The first month and a half SUCKED, but I was literally on the bike the day after surgery and continued with aggresive PT until I could get it on my own by hiking and doing things I actually enjoy outdoors. I did the autograft from my hamstring and honestly the sore and very tight hammie was the worst of the PT. By this coming winter, I'll be aggresively shredding again and will likely have to think when asked, "Which knee did you have surgery on??"
Blade&Shaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010   #20
Eagle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2007
I want to correct myself with one comment. I made a sweeping generalization when I said "many" othopedists when I meant to say some. My apologies. There are so many talented surgeons out there due to the heavily active state we live in. Take your time, find your fit with your doctor and commit yourself to the PT.

Not sure if the last question was referred to me or not. I've had two ACL's on my right knee (15 years apart,). I had a donor ligament put in and thus far it has been rock solid. My troubles have been flexibility and strength (I still want to favor the leg to this day ).

I disagree with the person who said just to work the knee until it's completely trashed. Horrible idea. Studies keep showing that arthritis develops in many respects due to knee instability. The shifting that occurs without the ACL can cause some big problems long term. Most of the arthitis that occurred within my knee came during the year that I put off surgery in favor of a clumsy brace.

Physical Therapy musts:

1. GameReady Device - Doctor may prescribe this and it may not be covered by insurance. By all means get it/rent it regardless if you pay out of pocket. It replaces post surgery ice packs in a monumental way by keeping ice cold water and pressure to bring down swelling. Look it up on the web. No brainer. I turned it down and then begged for it after my first day.

2. Keep the crutches longer - I suspect if you have surgery you'll want to get rid of the crutches as soon as possible. BAD IDEA. Crutches tell everyone ELSE that you are injured. Walk around the house without em if you want, but use them in public.

Too much information I suspect. Surgery sucks. but don't put it off if you really need it. 5 short months of frustration to prevent a lifetime of agony is quite a fair trade.

brian a is offline   Reply With Quote