Old 06-02-2006   #11
Paddling Since: '93

Pete - I know this must be overbearing for you. Like everyone else that knows you, I have absolutely no doubt that you made your best effort in there. I've always been certain that you are the strongest and safest boater to run rivers with, and that is as true today as it was before this weekend.

My heart goes out to you, and to all of Adam's other friends and family.

barret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006   #12
Heroic Efforts

I don't know you, but I have boated with Adam. I heard a third person account of the accident, and one thing that was absolutely clear was that the rescue efforts of you and Leland were totally heroic, and were immensely appreciated by all those who heard about them. You did all that could have been asked of you, and we all (Adam's friends) are greatful to you!
Darren (D3)

dregina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006   #13
There's a footnote I'd like to add to the report....It's simple, a fact, and very is.....
Even though the outcome was what it came to be, Adam's chances were increased exponentially by the fact that you were there.
I and everyone at the memorial, I am certain, wednesday would like to give you a big thank you for being there and giving Adam that extra chance that he would not have had, if you hadn't been.

Gary Eldridge
GE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006   #14
Real Estate Closing Agent
Thank You

We all thank you for your best efforts. I cannot imagine what is was like to be in your position -but I know as hard as this is for all of us, the weight you feel is much greater. As we miss him -- Adam knew you were doing what you could -- all you could to help him...he knew -- he would want you to know he understands, and that with time, he will help you somehow, and some way to move forward.

Thank you again -- from the bottom of my heart, and the hearts of us all.

Nonboater Whitney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006   #15
The Heroes in life !

Dear Pete & Kate,
I want to thank you so very much for giving that account of the tragic event that took Adam's life. It must have been so hard for you.
I am a very close friend of Adam's aunt Annie.
I sent a link to her this morning of what you wrote.
She called me to tell me it helped her so much to read what you had written. She knows it will also help her brother & sister-in-law ( Adam's mom and dad )
Pete, you are a true hero... you tried so hard to save Adam.
Adam will always be a part of you.
Take care.... heal and be grateful for the great friendship you had with Adam. He was an amazing person

margie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006   #16
I know you did all you were in an impossible situation. I and my buddy tried to save an avalanche victim this fall. We did dug him out and did CPR for over an hour...but it was too late. It took me some time to come to terms with the loss and anything we could have done differently.
My thoughts are with you,
shawnh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006   #17
Re Adam

I knew Adam when I was at Middlebury, he was a year younger than me in school and he was a great guy; great skier.

I don't know much about kayaking, but Pete sounds like you did everything anybody could have done to help Adam, quite selflessly and certainly endgangering yourself in the process. That's not much solace when you've lost a great friend like Adam, but you did what you could with what you had. From the other replies on this message list, Pete, it seems as if anybody could have done something to save Rouge's life it would certainly have been you. All of Adam and your friends sound thankful that you were there to try and save his life.

I'm not sure if those words are helpful or not, but I say them having lost my best friend tragically in 2001. He was also a Middlebury kid from Minnesota, and he suffered a fatal head injury in an assault. At the time I was a medical student and performed CPR on him, and unfortunately his injuries were not survivable. His death was awful, beyond comprehension, however, every day since that accident I am thankful that I was there with my friend when he died and I tried everything I could to save him.

From the words of your many friends and family, Pete, I don't think you need to question what you did to try and save Adam. It's obvious that you did everything possible for him.

Pete Steinberg
captfun99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006   #18

I found out that you died today. I will miss you. I last saw you in a home depot-how lame. I wish I had seen you in the mountains-skiing or paddling a creek. I have not posted here in several years as paddling started to scare me and I began to see deaths on the river. I no longer miss the river for this exact reason. I wish you were here, healthy and alive.

I will remember our years of ski racing against each other; Competing with passion but congratulating each other with each bit of success we had and loving every minute of it....You were always a great person to see and interact with. I wish I had called you like you asked me to the day I last saw you. I thought I had more time to do so.

You will be missed friend.
Dave Riss
dgriss1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006   #19
Golden, Colorado

Having you along on my first trip down Vallecito was a huge boost for my comfort level. I have no doubt that Adam's chances were much greater with you in there with him. There's nothing wrong with feelng sorrow and I'm sure anyone would wonder what more they could have done. But in the heat of the moment I have no doubt you did all that you could and more than most would have just because you have skill and presence of mind like few I've seen on the river.

Take care,
blutzski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006   #20
a message from Adam Barron's family

(Adam's family requested the following message to be posted)

To all of Adam Barron’s friends,

We want to let you know how special it has been to read all of your letters and for your sincere help these past weeks in the Boulder Community. During this very hard time, it is truly comforting to hear about your wonderful adventures and kind hearted moments with Adam. Thank you for all of your support and thank you for being in Adam’s life. For Adam, I know he will be happy to see everyone of us live each moment of the day to the fullest and smile at the sight of powder and feel thrilled to hear a rushing river.

With all of our love,
Eric, Becca, Stephen and Charlene Barron

sdg is offline   Reply With Quote