Old 01-18-2007   #21
Geologist, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1991
That is one burly story. I wish you speedy recovery. Thanks for sharing this story as I have surfed my kayak in some sketchy places myself. I will make sure the water is sufficiently deep next time or just stick to the surfboard!

Don't count yourself our of kayaking just yet! Work on the rehab and get strong again then go back for a new check up. Technology is advancing fast and you never know what may be in store for you. Maybe a neck fusion could work. I am no doctor but I know the human spirit can be stronger than doctors words. Keep your chin have been given a second chance which most could only dream of that were in a similar situation.

Makes me want to give back to the community just knowing that you survived and will be able to walk. Your story will save lives of other boaters and I think it should be published. Think about writing that story up for AW or the new Steamboat Mag.

jonny water is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007   #22
Thought-criminal, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
He's right...doctors are wrong all the time. Chances are he's not a boater and it's easy for him to rule out the sport without fully grasping what it means to you -- as no one who doesn't boat really can. I would seek other opinions, have them explain everything thoroughly, get some textbooks, read up...understand exactly what's up and make your own decision.

Don't swap those boats just yet.

If that scare was enough to convince you to hang it up I think it would very hard to find anyone who's going to fault you for it. That is about the scariest thing I can imagine that doesn't involve a bear. I'm sure it left a permanent imprint on you psyche. BUT, if you want to boat I wouldn't count yourself out just yet. Heal first. Re-evaluate.

I hope in the future Americans are thought of as a warlike, vicious people, because I bet a lot of high schools would pick "Americans" as their mascot. -Jack Handy
BastrdSonOfElvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007   #23
Summit, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Send a message via AIM to COUNT
Man, that's an amazing story. That really sucks but we're all glad you're here to tell it. What's the extent of not being able to take another hit? I ask because I've got a friend who broke his back a few years ago and he can't take another major hit like that but it's healed enough that he can take some minor abuse and he comes out and paddles with us a few times a year on high volume runs like Westy where there's no chance ever hitting anything when you flip. It's not like the paddling he used to do but it's better than nothing and helps satisfy that desire to paddle. Might want to keep that in mind when you make your trip to the gear swap.

Stay tough. Keep us updated on the recovery. You've got the whole state over here cheering on your speedy recovery. Let us know if you need anything.

"The world would be a better place if everyone kayaked."-Brad Ludden (Valhalla)
"You only get one chance to run a drop blind."-DD
COUNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007   #24
nowhere, Colorado
Just my 2 cents...
my father was paralyzed, a quadrapeligic(sp?) to be exact. he was hurt on a family trip on the river. he worked hard at rehab for years and technology/his hard work helped him regain the use of his arms, so he was able to squeeze/hold a glass of water, use the remote for the tv, etc.. might seem minor but it made day-day life a little easier.
kayaking might not ever be the same as far as the risks runs you take but you might want to hold on to one boat for motivation or not. right now Im sure it;s emotional decision.
Hope you heal mentally, physically and spritually.
tress33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007   #25
Local, Colorado
Send a message via AIM to paddlebizzle
Ture -
You've been through brink and back. We weren't there, and it's easy for us to post about how you shouldn't get rid of your boat and should reconsider.

Still, get a second opinion. If you need help, PM me - I know the director of Neurosurgery at UCHSC, which is one of the best Neurosurgery departments in the world. The neuro that saved you did a great job (you're walking for God's sake). Nonetheless, get a second opinion JUST TO BE SURE.

I agree with Derk - keep your boat and count on Westwater and other deep-water/no impact trips.
paddlebizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007   #26
Seattle, Washington
Hang in there Ture and stay positive. Doctors aren't always right...I should know, my wife is one.

As people have been mentioning, maybe high volume or easy runs could still be a possibility in the future. Also, from the times we've chatted when boating together, it seems like you prefer sports that require focus. I would recommend picking up sport climbing as a good substitute for boating and kickboxing. It's relatively safe, but still pretty intense and you have hundreds of routes within twenty miles of your house.

Take care and wish you well on your recovery!

Yonder_River is offline   Reply With Quote