Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 06-14-2010   #41
missoula, Montana
Paddling Since: 06
Originally Posted by piophan View Post
We were worried about you guys too josi. Glad you guys made the decision to get out a day early. June 5th in Impassable Canyon is not something I want to experience again any time soon. We enjoyed sharing hotsprings with you guys. This is Franklin, the big guy, by the way.
Hey Franklin It's Franklin. The other Franklin. Glad to see you guys made it. Let me know if you ever get a permit. Two Franklins on one trip has to happen at some point in time. Perhaps at a more chill water level? Also still wonderin if you are gonna make it to Driggs or Boise for the shows? If so let me know. Combine the crews and the mayhem.

franklin jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010   #42
missoula, Montana
Paddling Since: 06
Franklin here,

I would like to thank everyone who helped our crew get through the difficult time we had on the Middle Fork June 4th. From Kate and the kayakers who saved the boat, to the guys who drove down there to tell the kayakers it was coming, and the people who helped unload our boats just as soon as they had gotten done unloading theirs. I don't know how we would have done that on our own, we were all simply done for. Thank you so, so, much. Also Karl and Josi, thanks for the long pulls off the bottles. They were much needed, at least by me and a few others. Thank you all for everything, including the support you have provided here. If it helps anyone else it is to my understanding that this was Michaels favorite place in the whole world especially at the confluence.
The same group I was with recently lost another one of their rafting crew in an automobile accident, which to me seems to be an injustice. Rest in peace Michael. Take care of one another out there guys and keep your eyes open for me. Im gonna be around.

franklin jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010   #43
Lafayette, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Dodging the MF

My sincerest condolences to the the family and friends of the gentleman who died. I'm also glad to hear the rest of the groups made it out in one piece (even if their rafts didn't). Our group, mostly from Idaho Falls and then the two of us from Lafayette, CO opted out of our June 5th launch on the MF. We ended up on Deso for the week and had a great trip. While not the same level of excitement that the MF would have provided, we are happy with what we got. After reviewing all these posts and following the flow charts, I think we made a very good decision. Hoping to make it up to the MF soon under better conditions.
dinag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010   #44
Dillon, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1981
Middle Fork Epilogue

We recovered all of our boats thanks to some terrific ranchers downstream who not only found our boats but hung all the gear to dry out in their barns. The forest service found my shredder in early July and to my surprise - no holes. One hell of a trip.....
mcgow13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010   #45
Helena, Montana
Paddling Since: 96
Originally Posted by confluence_eric View Post
That is correct. Our group lost the Purple Maravia and Yellow Highside. We know the rafts floated past Corn Crk with the Highside flipped back upright and the Maravia upside-down. If anyone has information on those please let me know. The river was at 3.8 at the putin and rose to about 9 ft on the last day. Impassable Canyon was very scary and we had 3 rafts flip (first one at Redside Rapid), front chamber of one boat pop on a log (and later flip) and lots of scary swims. No exxageration that a couple of us were only a minute or two from drowning. We made it down to the confluence on Saturday around 8pm. Otter Bar, our intended campsite for Saturday night was underwater and we were forced to go down river. We were behind the group with the fatality and my deepest condolences go out to that group and the man's family.
i met the guy that rowed in the purple mariva at the main put in last month. we were talkin about the high water, he said he was there and i asked him if he saw the legendary boat. he laughed and said he was the one that got her. he didn't know it had taken on a life here on the buzz.
MountainMedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010   #46
Lake Oswego, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1983
We launched June 2 with a group of 14 people. We laid over at Shelf campsite as the river peaked. Myself and the two women in our group flew out at Loon Creek. I have done this river 9 times now and I just didn't want to risk floating at that level with a passenger. I have never walked up and talked with those wranglers at the Loon Creek Ranch, but I am sure glad I did. Those guys were super helpful. They helped us arrange a flight out and helped us haul our gear and boat to the airfield. I know next time I float the MF I will bring those guys some beer. They really appreciate it. They told me they rent out that little cabin down by the river. I didn't know that. Anyway, the rest of our group made it to the takeout with only 4 flips and nobody injured. Most of the group had planned to continue on down the Main. At least they had the sense to bag that idea.

OregonianRG is offline   Reply With Quote