Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 06-08-2010   #21
Dipshit with the most.
Bellevue, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
Originally Posted by piophan View Post
I was in the boat with Eric. He was pulling with all his might and I was paddling but it was no use, the current took us right into the meat of it. Swimming Weber right below Redside was the scariest moment of my life. Something kept me under long enough for me to start to black out before I popped back up. I somehow managed to make a small eddy on river right just below Mist Falls rapid. The water was so big we never should have attempte it but once we were in the lower canyon there was no choice but to keep going. My condolences also to the friends and family of Michael Fitzpatrick.
HOLY CRAP. Glad you are all right. If you got pushed to river left there is a horrible ripping eddy line down there (in Weber ) off the rock point that creates those ocean rollers. Hard to imagine with another foot of water how scary that would be.

So someone told you to 'just run it" ......did you kick them in the nuts after the trip? Sounds like they need a good swift one. There are 8 or 10 spots I don't f0ck with at high flow on the MF and the middle of Redside is one of them.

Wow. Just wow.

RIP Michael F. and condolences to his family and friends.

carvedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010   #22
Dillon, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1981
We lost three boats - a purple Maravia, a yellow Hyside, and a shredder. We are lucky to be alive. Anyone who runs the Main Salmon and finds gear can call me at 970-513-0094. Thanks

mcgow13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010   #23
North Fork, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1980
Thanks all for the responses. My Middle Fork experiences over the years have been in low water (3 feet or less). I can only imagine that water at flows like this.

I am more of a cruiser - Main Salmon in August this year....

River trips, whether looking for adrenaline or a peaceful cruise, are a wonderful experience. I feel it personally when a good trip goes bad and someone is hurt or lost. Equipment can be replaced.

RIP Michael and my sincere condolences for his friends and family.
eideho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010   #24
We scouted Redside on the right above the corner on Friday and it was fairly easy to boat by hugging the inside corner. I then crossed over below and found the easiest route thru Weber was to be far left. There as a hole hiding in the wave train left of center.

Cradle made a good camp to watch the trees float by on Saturday. Sorry the yellow boat wasn't reachable by us from camp when it passed. The MF was clear of floating wood when we came out on Sunday.

Eddy lines starting at Devils Tooth caused me the biggest problems in the canoe.

Originally Posted by carvedog View Post
Just curious where you ran this. I have run it at 7.7 or so and it seemed like there were sneaks far right and far, far left.
cadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010   #25
4CRS, Durango, Colorado
Our group chose to sit tight at camp the day it peaked, there were 60-80 foot ponderosas floating downstream and we saw no reason to run the canyon with them. We kept seeing the Summit County crew, we were worried about you guys in the shredder, glad you rolled it up. Thanks for all the ass shots! We ran the 30 miles from trail camp to the confluence in about 3 hours on the 6th, crazy giant exploding waves, I got bitch slapped by them a few times for sure. Our group had clean lines though and we were happy to be out of the canyon. So sorry to hear about the fatality, my condolences to friends and family. T
TonyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010   #26
Frisco, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1994
I was there with another Summit County group, and you can add me to the list of never having seen anything like that. Irregular is the word I kept using. Our group did well with only two flips in Haystack, with no injuries. It is a trip I will never forget.
" The Dude abides....."
palidog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010   #27
Dipshit with the most.
Bellevue, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
Originally Posted by mcgow13 View Post
We lost three boats - a purple Maravia, a yellow Hyside, and a shredder. We are lucky to be alive. Anyone who runs the Main Salmon and finds gear can call me at 970-513-0094. Thanks
One of my guide buddies saw the privates who rescued your Maravia as it was going down. He thought the boat looked relatively intact for having been upside down for a while.

I talked to your wife last night as I didn't know someone else had already contacted you. Sorry about how late it was.

I am an hour south of Stanley, if there is anything I can do to help facilitate getting this home to you - let me know.

Looks like the highside is on the Lower Main. Report was it was upside down the last they saw.
carvedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010   #28
Just spoke with my friend Whip, said they had two flips in the first 1.9 miles, but only two more the rest of the trip. Sounds like they got off easy.
redbeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010   #29
high water of '96

ran the middle fork into the main salmon at 10 or 11 feet in '96, main salmon was 100,000 when we took out at riggins. did the main from the middle fork take out to riggins in 1.5 days...epic!
boyophir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010   #30
Salida, Colorado
2 cents

Was in the Glenwood/Littleton/Boulder firefighter/ski patrol group. Our first two flips were in Murph's less than a mile into the trip. We had 10 rafts/dory and 3 kayaks. Our trip leader Harlin rocked we reviewed the run daily before putting on. We ran in tight formation evenly spaced. Every boat had line to secure in the eddies and lines to throw. One kayaker sagely attached to a raft on day 3. Our two safety kayakers rocked and ran ahead signalling the runs and rescuing swimmers. The flatwater was
big with huge holes and waves in places. It was an epic bigwater trip for many including myself who ran it for the first time. I have to say the guidebooks were of little use because most rapids at 8' + beared little resemblance to what we were looking at. We were saddened to hear of the fatality on the way home but weren't overly surprized as we helped some groups including commercials that seemed a bit unprepared for such big water.

No amount of money is worth your free time!
whip is offline   Reply With Quote