Old 03-05-2007   #1
ACA kayak instructor courses

Hey im wondering if anyone has info about spring ACA kayak instructor courses. I know Wigston teaches a few and Kent Ford often comes through to teach at least one. Anyone have any info on when these courses will be offered, where and how much. Thanks

flounderbuoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007   #2
Here's one in Cali

Excuse the cut and paste from my email....

American Canoe Association
Instructor Certification Workshop April 12-15, 2007
Four Days $350
Mt. Shasta, CA
Benefits of becoming an ACA certified kayak instructor:
• Industry standard for safe, effective, efficient and fun techniques
• Improve your personal paddling skills
• Improve your ability to teach…and learn new skills and have more fun!
• Employment opportunities at kayak schools or outdoor centers

“I am a proponent of ACA Instructor certification for paddlers wishing to improve their own skills as well as improving teaching skills. I give Michael my highest recommendation. His class was full of learning and laughing. Michael is a strong and experienced kayaker. His passion for paddling and his love of rivers permeates his teaching. WOW!”
Rick Stock, Program Coordinator/ Outdoor Recreation Leadership Program/ Feather River College/ Quincy, CA

The Instructor Certification Workshop series is a multi-day course designed to improve your personal paddling and teaching skills AND IS A WATER BASED Course with 80% on the water teaching and 20% classroom.

Where: Mount Shasta, California
When: Thursday, April 12th- Sunday April 15th 2007

ion_berkley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007   #3
Eagle County, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
Ok, so I'm not really a kayaker except occasionally, but I was curious as to what the prerequsites are for ACA instructors. What should you be able to do before taking that course?
WhiteLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007   #4
Preacher of the Profit Paddling Since: 1990

ACA has two basic certs. Whitewater and Flatwater

Flatwater: Wet exits, strokes, braces, T-rescues & rolling

Whitewater: All above, plus Class III skills, eddy turns, peel-outs, river safety basics.
I love to dance, but who needs the music- It throws me off.
Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007   #5
Gnarnia, Colorado
You can search for instructor courses on the ACA site:
JBL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007   #6
steamboat springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 93
the american canoe association website lists 5 levels for kayak instructor certification. these are listed below. i don't know if this is still how the class works, but when i took it we didn't have to take a seperate class for each different cert. i took my instructor class 10 years ago and the instructor trainer taught everyone in the class together, regardless of skill level. each student was given a diffferent certification based on their skills, and their ability to teach those skills in each respective setting. however, i only remember three different levels: flatwater, moving water, and whitewater. looks like they have added a couple more levels since then. these are the different certification levels cut and pasted from the aca website:

Level 1: Introduction to Kayak (non-discipline specific)

Level 2: Essentials of River Kayak

Level 3: Basic River Kayak (Moving Water)

Level 4: Whitewater Kayak

Level 5: Advanced Whitewater Kayak

we had people who could barely roll in our class. most people improved significantly over the course of the class. everyone at least got a flatwater cert out of the class. a couple got moving water, and a couple got whitewater.
rhm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007   #7
San Diego and Frisco, CO
About ACA Instructor's Class

I did the Whitewater Instructors class in 2005, and while I enjoyed it overall, I went in with some mis-conceptions. The class is (duh) really about teaching beginners. And there is a lot of off-river time. If you just want to improve your skills, another type of class might be a better choice. I have a long write-up about what the class is and is not (plus a number of tips about who to go with and where and when.)
Drop me an e-mail or a PM and I will send it along. (Too long for a Buzz post! <gg>).

Kim J

kjohnson at san <dot> rr <dot> com
Kimy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007   #8
Everyone here is correct. the only thing you want to remember is that every instructor is different. I know there is an ACA standard, but no one follows that exactly. at least I hope not. Beware of textbook instructors. Anyone can memorize an ACA manual.
Some instructors focus only on how to teach beginners, while others do a lot of advanced technique. It also depends on the needs, expectations, and skill level of the students in the class. Every time I teach the ACA class, it is different. Sometimes I have a lot of people who are taking the class just for the sake of self improvement. In this case, I will customize the class for them. Other times, the students are trying to get a job as an instructor, so I will focus on their needs.

N. Wigston is offline   Reply With Quote