Old 07-18-2012   #11
Preacher of the Profit Paddling Since: 1990
Different Gear

Go with the Villain it has a differnt gear and truelly a diiferent boat for different jobs. The Hero is a really good boat (I like it alot). It makes kayak easy. The Villain is different in the way it allows you to overnight easier and it how much difference it has in hull speed. The real question would be where do you stop paddling the FUN (my current boat) and start paddling the Hero? And, can you paddle those runs in a Villain?

I'd throw in you should ckeck out the Zen, it's fast. One gear above the Villain and it rocks on my style river running. The choice is up to you. Have fun picking.

I love to dance, but who needs the music- It throws me off.
Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012   #12
Boise, Idaho
I liked the Zen but just don't know if I'd ever buy one... dunno why not because I liked it but there's just something about it...

Could anyone compare a Villain to a Remix...

Anchorless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012   #13
Nampa, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1995
I paddle both a Villain and Zen. I would say the Remix has more in common with the Zen than the Villain.

The Zen rips up river features like a mini-slalom boat. It handles ferrying / eddies / s-turns / surfing as well as any whitewater boat. It's also in the faster class of boats, and has been successful on many of the whitewater races this season. For me, I love this boat on everything up to class 5-, but above that, I almost wish it had a few more gallons to float me like the Villain.

The Villain has been an awesome boat for me for three seasons. It is awesome on both creeks and big water. Like all Jackson boats, it rolls easy. It boofs well, it's not slow, and it's stable. I feel good in this boat sideways or without paddling. It's big, and it is perfect for overnighters. It's treated me well on the North Fork of the Payette, including at 2010's record flows. As much as I love it, I'm putting it up for sale. I will actually replace it with another Villain as I'm lucky enough to get team price on my boats.

It's in the Boise area, it's yellow, and I'm asking $625 obo. Fair / good condition.

Favre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012   #14
surrounded by mountains, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1981
Go with the Villain. You won't be sorry. It is a great boat. Especially for the caliber of rivers you're planning to be boating. If you fit a Villain S I have a very lightly used Elite for $700 on the buzz swap. Excellent boat.

Originally Posted by ehukai View Post
Sorry for posting another A vs B thread but I'm about to spend a lot of money on a boat and would like to make the most informed decision possible.

After a lot of research on these boats i'm even more unsure of which would best suit me. I will be paddling it in Idaho in places like the North Fork of the Payette as well as places like the Kern River and Brush Creek in Cali. I have an 07 hero right now and a newer Fun and love them yet I have given the Hero to my dad to get him into the sport. I have heard that the hero creeks amazing and the Villan river runs great. I will be using this boat for half creeking and half river running and would love any input in this decision.

PS. I was considering getting a Stomper yet I can get a better deal on Jackson boats so that's why the Stomper isn't in this post.

Thanks, Ehukai
No risk, no reward. It is not that we have to, it is that we get to. Preparation and education are essential to self-confidence and success. - KV
"If there is no risk there is no adventure."- Bill Briggs
Ken Vanatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012   #15
Glen Vegas, Florida
Paddling Since: 92
Wow, a pro boater is selling a beat up Villain for $625, sign me up! Personally, I prefer the Chinese Villian, just don't spend too much time in it, the plastic contains radioactive isotopes.
Pizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012   #16
Summit County, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
According to Eric Jackson himself at FIBark; the difference between thos boats is speed. Hero is slow and ment for quick turns adjustments. Villan is longer therefore faster stays on track a little better. His words not mine take it for what you want.
SummitSurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012   #17
Nampa, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1995
While I'd hardly describe myself as such, even "pro" boaters pay for boats. Often the asking price on a used boat might be a few more dollars than you would accept. So for you Pizzle, I'll sell you a Villain in fair / good condition for $600.

Eric Jackson's description of the boats is accurate.
Favre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012   #18
Land of Lovin, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
I've heard rumors of a hybrid Zen/Villain coming out for 2013...
Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. - Voltaire
Jensjustduckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012   #19
Cpt. No Scout
In a Van, Down By the River
Paddling Since: 91
Villian S, is my vote given your choices and the fact that you have a fun. I think that that combination will keep you happier on the majority of water. I think that a hero and fun cover alot of the same stuff. There is alot of overlap if that makes any since. Paddling a hero down river can be a bit of a chore. Being slow and easily pushed around. The villian is more effecent making river/creek run more enjoyable for the average guy. I bet it takes 10 strokes in a hero to get 8 strokes of villian. That adds up over 10 miles.

Lots of villians for sale all over.
idahofloater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012   #20
San Louis Obisbo, California
Paddling Since: 2005
Thanks for the input guys I've decided to get a "Villain S". The whole Fun and hero overlapping argument sold me.

ehukai is offline   Reply With Quote