Old 07-25-2007   #1
Breckenridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
A River Dog Passes On...

It brings tears to my eyes to be writing this about my dog who seemed to be in tip top shape but in 12 hours he went from a whitewater swimming/surfing, 14teener hiking maniac to being in another "place" . Yes for those of you that know Mako and myself (R-1ing partners on the ARk Teal Green Puma Akita Shepard/"Riverdog" mix Teal Green VW Van) Mako is gone... he evidently died from an intestinal track blockage and after taking him to the vet yesterday morning, and another vet later in the day...(a long story but the first vet I took him to evidently did not diagnose him properly)

Mako was much more then a dog to me, he was my best friend... my river running partner, my road trip partner, my surfing, snowboarding, beach volleyball, mountainbiking, hiking, camping, bar hopping, partner in crime... My dad said it best 3-4 years ago "I'd bet Mako has had more adventures in his lifetime then most people ever get a chance to experience" and indeed he has. Two storys come to mind I'd like to share with the river community.

About 5 years ago on a trip on the Lower New, which happened to be my first time guiding Class IV-V water, Mako was with me of course, and another friend in my raft. My good friend Steve was trip leader on a commercial trip and he was watching our backs all day as we tagged along behind him. He eddied out below Jump Rock and Mako and myself climb the upstream side (out of Steve's View) and when Mako and I appeared on the top of the rock with the other boaters, Steve says "Hoover your not gonna do what I think your gonna do are you"? Of course that was all I needed I scooped Mako up and off we were...25' plunge Mako (PFD equipped of course) poppped back up swam over to Steve's boat shook off and smiled at all of us, like "whats next"?

That was the nature of my crazy dog he was always game for any adventure now matter how hard core or extreme it was he was always the first out the door first in my van and first to jump in the front of my raft... Seconds after getting back in our boats my other friend (guiding one of the commercial boats) says to his crew "if that isnt a river dog I don't know who is"...I couldnt help but smile in that moment, I realized how fortunate I was to be on the river, that sunny day with some of my best friends and my best friend all in one day...

Another Recent day down at the BV Playhole my friend Patrick and I were surfin the Puma with Mako in the bow of course....swimming about every other surf...and randomly we'd be back in the eddy line waiting our turn for more carnage, and in would jump Mako never willing to let an adventure pass him by...I have seen the dog high side believe it or not and he has ran several rapids without me in the boat as a result...I doubt I will ever find another dog as well rounded and as river ready as he was...but then again I'm not looking to replace him, he was "Mako"... a fun loving good nature life companion who was the best friend and the best dog anyone could ever have...I guess the only closure or comfort I have is knowing I gave him 12 solid years of fun filled cross country four season adventures, and he is somewhere right now swimming or surfing or playing in powder...

veeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007   #2
pnw, Washington
sorry for your loss

"Yesterday I was clever and tried to change the world. Today I am wise and try to change myself." -Rumi
gh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007   #3
The Road, Colorado
Paddling Since: '07
Send a message via Yahoo to Badazws6
I'm sorry for your loss. I think I saw you that day at BV. At first I thought you where crazy to have the dog in the boat with you doing that but after watching for a bit I realized that he actually was enjoying it. Right on, Enjoy your memories.
Life: Live it!
Badazws6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007   #4
at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
He sounds like a lifetime dog. Never to be rivaled, replaced, or equaled. How wonderful it must have been to have him as a friend. It is so cruel that they live such short lives, but they sure do pack a lifetime of joy into those short years. As crushing as it is losing them, I personally wouldn't trade it for anything. The joy of a dog is the most contagious disease I know of.

He's probably somewhere right now saying to other dogs "hold my bone and watch this!"
lhowemt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007   #5
God Amongst Men
Phuoc My, Da Nang, THE 'NAM
Paddling Since: 1845
i am super sorry to hear about your loss, my friend. the friendship between man and dog is unlike any other relationship in the world, and is usually the hardest to get over when it ends. think about the good times, and in time your dogs soul will find its way into another doggy and life will be good again!
"Don't f$&@ing eddy out, just run it! Whaddya doin??" -LMyers
yetigonecrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007   #6
Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
Thanks for sharing the memories! Never forget the good times had, and what a great life you provided for your 4-legged friend...
What does education often do? It makes a straight-cut ditch of a free, meandering brook. HENRY DAVID THOREAU, Journal
thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007   #7
Dillon, Colorado
OMG! I just saw this post. I am so sorry Chris.

I only got the pleasure of meeting Mako for one weekend but he was an amazing dog. It was a treat watching him blast through Brown's, keeping the nose of the raft down while Dad punched through the holes.
I seems that he inspired Murphy to become a great river dog.

We are so sorry for your loss. Our condolences.

Mako is in great company. No doubt, he and my Aussie are hanging by the water somewhere.

-Steve, Dara and Murphy
Braznut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007   #8
Breckenridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Thanks to all my river friends...

Thanks to all of you who have been so suportive in the past month...Mako is out there on the river I am sure...and I plan on dropping his dog tags in the Gauley in a week or so as West VA was where it all started for us....
veeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007   #9
SE, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1986
From one river dog to another–

Ruby sends her condolences. Me, too.

Here's to you & Mako, on behalf of all good river dogs.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Page_1_2.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	336.2 KB
ID:	213
Chip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007   #10
me and my river dog poncho wish you the best. God bless i hope you heal soon take care of you

timberman is offline   Reply With Quote