Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 12-06-2011   #1
B.F.E., Wyoming
A really cool Upper Cherry video + Super well done Safety Movie

One of the greater flicks I've seen plus a really cool guide down a super beautiful classic run.

freexbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011   #2
x, x
Paddling Since: x
very cool.

bobbuilds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011   #3
Extremely well done.
farp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011   #4
Near water (hopefully), Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
Ya that was pretty damn good.
smauk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011   #5
Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
Lots of good stuff in there for all boaters.....kayakers & rafters as well. Safety gear, preparation, group safety & signals, and Leave No Trace.
Awesome beautiful place !!!!!!
cataraftgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011   #6
Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Awesome vid and lots of great stuff that translates to any day on the river. Good to see Rok's healed up as well.

Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011   #7
Golden, Colorado
Nice vid. That place always amazes.

On the "leave no trace". How is Upper Cherry doing with the influx of boaters? Burying your waste and dousing campfires on the rock don't seem to be consistent with "leaving no trace". More like minimizing your trace. Fire pans and groovers are "leave no trace". Not that I'm saying the practices shown in the video aen't appropriate in low traffic areas, but is Upper Cherry in any danger of becoming more restricted due to increased traffic? I'd hate to see firepans and groovers required on Upper Cherry.

You know Demshitz has left their trace.
blutzski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011   #8
Boulder, Colorado
The fire close to the river is fine because it is going to get washed away by the massive flow in the spring. The shit is a different story, people are lazy and don't dig deep enough holes. Eric is right with the rock idea but it still needs to be dug out. And flintstone is the most popular camp and is somewhat trashed, people should space it out a lot more.
tj@cu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011   #9
I always worry I'm going to choose a rock that's been used before. I think it's good to burn the tp and it helps leave less behind.
Nathan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011   #10
Moscow, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1995
Flintstone and the put-in camps are both impacted. That river is seeing increasing traffic even with the small flow window. Good suggestions above on ways to minimize the damage--we need more of that kind of behavior on the river in general.

Nobody mentioned another way we kayakers impact wilderness rivers--dragging our boats. It's real tempting on those domes, and it's introducing totally synthetic materials to a wilderness. At least poop, tp, and fires all biodegrade... eventually. I'm certainly not beyond reproach for dragging boats in wilderness areas, but it's something to think about. Pretty jarring to come across a big blue smear on a rock in the middle of otherwise pristine country. Yet its a common sight on many of these class V multidays.

"A river is more than an amenity, it is a treasure."
-Oliver Wendell Holmes writing for the majority in New Jersey v. New York
phlyingfish is offline   Reply With Quote