Old 09-09-2004   #1
A park in Austin, TX?

Hey ya'll,
I'm down here in Texas...I never thought I'd say that, Austin to be exact. (No offense to any long horns) But I heard somewhere along the line that there was a play park near Austin. I'm not sure if that's just a fallacy, but I wouldn't mind getting in a boat if I'm while I'm here. Anybody have any beta? Muchos gracias!

dasunluva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2004   #2
No playpark, sorry amigo.

Maybe you are thinking of Longhorn dam?

Go south on 35 to New Braunfels. The Guad is flowing right now out of Canyon Lake Dam, and the stretch just upstream of Greune crossing is alot of fun.

This will be your only bet for some water.

timmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2004   #3
I think there is something down by San Marcos, don't know how good it is or anything though.
GrooveNinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2004   #4
In San Marcos, there is a pretty sweet surf spot @ Rio Vista Dam. It is on the San Marcos River, right next to The River Pub; if you ask anyone in town (San Marcos, not Austin) they will be able to direct you there.

This is what you are thinking of, Groove.

San Marcos is 20-25 minutes south of Austin on I35.

If park and play isn't your thing, or you want to hit a few more rapids along a section of river - hit the Guad. The San Marcos is great, though. It is spring fed, 72 degree, clear water. Either way, you should check one, or both, of them out. They are both quite swell.
Old 09-09-2004   #5
Correction: when I said ask anyone, I meant ask a college student. It may be questionable if some three-toothed, mouth-breathing service station attendant frequents the River Pub.

I intend no disrespect to any three-toothed mouth-breathers on this board. You are allright with me.
Old 09-09-2004   #6
Thanks fellas!
dasunluva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2004   #7
I'm in Austin for a couple months too..

I am actually in Austin for the next 5-6 weeks and I wouldn't mind doing a little boating myself. Let me know if you find anything or if you want someone else to go and jump in the water with.

zhensley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2004   #8
longhorn dam

there used to be a pretty sweet wave/ hole on the colorado below longhorn dam near first street. last i heard though they were releasing from some different gates.
rio is ok. check the locals for something called the zoom flume that we used to drop into the flow to create a rockin hole that would eat your lunch.
also, watch the flows on the guad. if they're any good there is some great play on the upper section. if looking for the secret spots get in touch with a professor from a&m named steve daniel.
the doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2004   #9
for texas paddling try whether it is Austin, San Antonio, or Dallas you will find all the info you need. Longhorn dam is stil running but the configuration has been off the past couple of days but didnt check it today but there was some paddlers going down there this evening. When it is on it is a blast! Everyone will probably be going down to rio vista in san marcos for Thursday evening but it might be last chance to catch the guad at 900 cfs as they are gonna cut the water back friday for cleanup. enjoy and check out the site!

metalguy12 is offline   Reply With Quote