Old 06-23-2009   #1
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
A Man's Dream - Not Quite Realized

I think itís every single male kayakerís dream to meet a woman on the river. However, after paddling for seven years now Iíve given up on the idea that Iím going to meet a woman this way. What are the chances really? I guess if I wanted to get into something to meet women Iíd do yoga. I kayak because I simply love to paddle, but I have to admit it would be Ďoh so sweetí to meet a woman who loves to paddle too.

So this afternoon I decided I would go to the Bear Hole after work to get some paddling in and then go home to make a nice dinner. Perhaps lame by some standards, but not a bad evening in my book. At 560 the hole was surfing like a dream and after a while I went down to the A-hole to work my weak sauce. About ten minutes later I crawled back up to the Bear HoleÖ and thatís when I saw her.

The first thing I noticed was her hair, tied tight in a braid, shiny black from the water. When she turned in my direction and I saw her face I couldnít believe such a gorgeous woman was on the river. For the next several minutes I debated whether I should try to talk to her or just let her enjoy the peace. After watching how she smiled every time she popped out of the wave I couldnít help myself. I paddled over and I offered some unsolicited advice about looking up river while surfing for better control. Potentially a bad approach but fortunately it was well received. I tried my best to give her space and make small talk when we conveniently passed each other in the eddy. I couldnít get enough of her beautiful blue eyes and warm smile.

When she got off the river I didnít follow right away. I waited a few minutes, surfed and then got out. Taking my gear off and putting my boat away I debated whether I should ask her out for a beer or just see if I might meet her on the river again. I knew I would be beating myself up all night if I didnít go ask. When I approached her and said ĎAny chance I can interest you in a beer?í, I was surprised when she said ĎYesí. Turns out she thought I meant I had beer with me and she didnít have time to stop to sit down at the bar. Never have I wished more that I had beer. So I said ĎWell, maybe Iíll see you out here again some time.í, and left it at that.

Her beautiful smile keeps coming back to me, and each time I tell myself she probably has a boyfriend. And she probably does, but a man can hope. I might change my mind about my chances of meeting a woman on the river. Itís only been seven years; Iíve got plenty more to go.

JHimick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009   #2
Send a message via AIM to xkayaker13
Girls are crazy enough as it is... don't go after one that kayaks.

xkayaker13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009   #3
Silverdale, Washington
Paddling Since: 2007
Cool story bro...

Seriously though Jason, why didn't you ask if she was single? Ask for her number? Something? Sure, getting rejected can sting like hell, but only if you let it. Can't win if you don't play. Don't you want to kick your own ass for not asking? Instead now you just have to hope you'll see her again, or meet someone else out there. Better to seize what might be that rare opportunity (that being a cute kayaker chick that could turn out to be single and receptive to your advances) Hell, I bet you paddle shit way with more consequences that would result in trauma far more lasting than being rejected by a stranger you probably won't see again.

No, I'm not trying to beleaguer you, only encourage you if that's what you want in your life.
CO_Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009   #4
Grand Junction, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2009
I met my wife in a climbing gym and she's getting into kayaking with me now. I always used to say I wish I could meet a climber chick. You're dream could come true...
Rschap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009   #5
Golden, Colorado
Seriously? You should have knocked her out and put her in your trunk. Eventually in the freezer with all of your other "girlfriends".
bdaruna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009   #6
Golden, Colorado
Just kidding bro, sweet story.
bdaruna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009   #7
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
You sure it wasn't a dude with long hair? There are few cute ones rolling around town.
KSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009   #8
The Road, Colorado
Paddling Since: '07
Send a message via Yahoo to Badazws6
Originally Posted by KSC View Post
You sure it wasn't a dude with long hair? There are few cute ones rolling around town.
You can never tell in boulder...

I met a non-boating girl and turned her into a betty. Doesn't work for everyone and there have been a few bumps in the road but it is very rewarding. I gotta say, I think I have the hottest thing out there and we are headed to the MF tonight where she is going to kayak.

Life is good.

Life: Live it!
Badazws6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009   #9
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Anybody else think its funny that he met this girl while "surfing the A-hole"?
Demosthenes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009   #10
Cisco, Utah
Paddling Since: Dawn
Hmmm.. Perhaps the beginnings of the first trashy romance kayak novel... No wind swept flowing robes or hair on the cover picture, but the early morning sun glinting off of her helmet and her heaving PFD might go.... She gasped just before getting windowshaded... He longed for her misplaced throwbag...

UserName is offline   Reply With Quote