Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 10-11-2006   #1
Gnarnia, Colorado
A Little Too Desperate for a Grand Canyon Permit

FLAGSTAFF, Ariz. – Timothy J. O‘Shaughnessy, 45, of Whitewater, California,pleaded guilty on October 6, 2006 to three counts of conspiring to fraudulently obtain noncommercial river permits for the Colorado River through the Grand Canyon by using the identities of deceased or fictitious people.

U.S. Magistrate Judge Mark E. Aspey sentenced O’Shaughnessy to 30 days in jail, 5 years probation during which he is banned from all National Parks, and a $7,500 payment to the Grand Canyon Search and Rescue Fund. O’Shaughnessy pleaded guilty to offenses from two separate complaints for his actions from May, 2001 through June, 2006.

“We appreciate the efforts of the U.S. Attorney’s Office in prosecuting this case,” stated Joseph Alston, Superintendent of Grand Canyon National Park. “We are pleased with the outcome and hope his sentence will serve as a deterrent to others that have tried to abuse the system and who have unjustly impacted those who have legitimately waited many years for a river permit.”

The investigation in this case was conducted by officials from the National Park Service from Grand Canyon National Park and Glen Canyon National Recreation Area. The prosecution was handled by Camille D. Bibles, Assistant U.S. Attorney, District of Arizona, Flagstaff, Ariz.

JBL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006   #2
God Amongst Men
Phuoc My, Da Nang, THE 'NAM
Paddling Since: 1845
people wouldnt have to resort to doing that kind of shit if it wasnt for the whole mess of a nightmare of a disaster that the permit system is...fucking a holes.....

it was wrong what he did but he didnt hurt anybody, he was just yet another person screwed by the stupid, stupid plan they have for that river!

dont get me wrong, the grand is one of the most epic trips in the world but i dont even want to run it anymore because of the complicated system! id rather go run the owhyee!

yetigonecrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006   #3
Summit, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Send a message via AIM to COUNT
I think that once we're through the transition period, the new system will work pretty well. I'm not a fan of permitting but I realize that it makes sense for some remote multiday stretches of river in order to assure campsites for everyone each night and to keep those sites from deteriorating. The waitlist works some places but the 12 year wait is bullshit. No, I don't like being told I can't run a stretch of river, but I think the weighted lottery is the best option for the Grand. Right now it sucks for those of us who have to transition from the old system but in the long run I think it's definately an improvement. And of course I'd like to see more private and less commercial launches.

"The world would be a better place if everyone kayaked."-Brad Ludden (Valhalla)
"You only get one chance to run a drop blind."-DD
COUNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006   #4
steamboat springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 93
looks like putting my dead uncle's name and my yet unborn son's on the list wasn't such a good idea after all. just don't tell anyone and maybe they won't catch me.
rhm is offline   Reply With Quote