Old 03-15-2009   #1
Jackson, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 94
Send a message via Yahoo to Gary E
A legend passes

Lars Holbeck passed last night. He died of cancer. I will always smile knowing what he gave us all.

California is the greatest kayaking on earth and he explored and wrote it down for us.

RIP Lars, you opened a lot of eyes in your life for the better.

Gary E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009   #2
God Amongst Men
Phuoc My, Da Nang, THE 'NAM
Paddling Since: 1845
oh man......what a terrible loss, not only for the kayaking community but the world on a whole. they dont make em as nice as lars anymore, he certainly was a master of the game!

rest in peace buddy, and my best wishes to his family, friends, and those that he influenced over the course of his life!

"Don't f$&@ing eddy out, just run it! Whaddya doin??" -LMyers
yetigonecrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009   #3
4CRS, Durango, Colorado
All my love to family and friends.
Lars, you will be greatly missed.
It was an honor to know you and spend time with you.
TonyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009   #4
Jackson, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1492
Hard to accept. Lars was unstoppable. I remember meeting him and paddling with him in Mexico in 1985, and he was already larger than life to those of us who had the first copy of his CA guidebook. It's been my Bible for California trips for over 20 years. Every time we ran into him, he was planning something big or had just done something big. Larger than life.
Safe journey, Lars. May there be endless whitewater where you're headed.
So many rivers, so little time..........
WyoPadlr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009   #5
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1989
My condolences to Lars' family and Nancy. I am so sorry to hear this news. Lars had been sick for a long while and it's still a blow to the community and myself to hear the news. Lars was such a gracious individual and so amazingly humble for such a giant in our world. He shall be missed.
hullflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009   #6
A sad day! My heart goes out to you and yours Nancy! Damon thought the world of Lars. He so admired both Lars and you. I'm sure if there is such a thing as "crossing over" Damon, Russell and Conrad were all there with love in there hearts and outstretched arms to pull him over.

My thoughts are with you!

pops Miller
buenodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009   #7
Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
wow. I am super sad to hear this news. I only met Lars once or twice, but like anyone who loves whitewater paddling he was a hero. My thoughts are with his family and loved ones.
Mike Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009   #8
GWS, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1992
A true legend

This is very sad news. Lars is a true legend. Anyone who knows him knows what a modest, genuine, down to earth super bad-ass he is. I had the privilege of hanging out with Lars in Durango. We mostly flew paragliders together. For a year or so we hung out paragliding and occasionally kayaking. He never once boasted about any of his incredible feats. It wasn't until I went on a Cali trip and bought his guide book that I realized the author was the same guy I had been flying with for a while. After our trip, I came back with a whole different perspective of him. We had our hand full on a couple of runs he pioneered 20 years ago.

To all his family and friends, my thoughts are with you. I can only imagine that Lars is in a place right now that is reflective of the wonderful life that he lead. RIP brother.
Mut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009   #9
I have never met him, but am in awe of what those guys ran in 13' fiber glass boats 30 years ago. Reading that guidebook and seeing some of those runs is inspiring. I got my ass beat on some of those runs last summer in my modern creek boat. He was truly a pioneer of the sport.
BrianK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009   #10
I don't have much to say other than Lars was definitely one of my heroes. Anyone doubting how much of a badass he was should drop into some of the runs from his book. I wouldn't go as far as to call him a sandbagger but when Lars said class V he meant it.

In addition to being one of the pioneers of our sport he was also an incredible climber who put up some pretty proud first ascents in CA and NV.

Here's a link to an obit: Obituaries | | The Press Democrat | Santa Rosa, CA

doublet is offline   Reply With Quote