Old 04-06-2009   #11
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
Nice tribute in today's Durango Herald.

Durango Herald News, Renowned kayaker made Durango home

You can never step into the same river; for new waters are always flowing on to you. - Heraclitus of Ephesus
DurangoSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012   #12
Las Vegas, Nevada
Paddling Since: 1976

In 1981 while driving my MGB cross country to California, I stopped to pick up a scraggly hitchiker in the South somewhere. We were about the same age. He introduced himself as "Lars Holbeck". Lars told me he had been living in Central America (Costa Rica?) kayaking the wild rivers. He said he was heading to Yosemite. He had no money. I agreed to give him a lift if he would help with the driving. So we drove pretty much nonstop. We made a detour into Juarez Mexico just to check it out. We both decided to get out of Juarez immediately. Juarez shocked us, and we both had done a lot of world travelling. We stopped overnight in a cheap motel in Las Vegas to get some sleep. That night someone broke into the room while we were sleeping. We both heard the intruder at the same time, and I noticed Lars bolt upright from his bed (he was sleeping in his sleeping bag--I guess old habits die hard). I bolted too. The intruder took off. We both fell back to sleep and vaguely recollected the event the next morning. We continued on to CA and I dropped Lars off on Highway 5 near Fresno. He told me to look him up in Yosemitie and he would show me some good kayaking and rock climbing(!). I wish I had.
Lars was a great guy, I remember having some good conversations with him during our long trip. I was sorry to hear of his passing.
Michael Cash
Las Vegas

Michael Cash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012   #13
Arkansas during the off-season Nomadic during the summers! :), Arkansas & Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
That's a cool story Cash.

RIP Lars!
gannon_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012   #14
aspen, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1957
Having paddled with Lars and chuck Stanley in California back in the day, (80s)
I invited Lars to stay with me in Colorado and paddle some Class V here in my back
yard , on a run I told him i had completed the first descent on. "Lake Creek"...I told him of my new pet run "..
Lake Creek", ..
which nobody paddled except our "core" group..(Z.Hubbard.J.Hubbard and trip leader "RC"...namer n' tammer)........ I had the pleasure of a first D and named most of the rapids, I cut out tons of wood, and knew the run very well... after we "warmed" up on Pine Creek / Numbers sections on the Arkansas river, we had a plan for Lake Creek the following day. As it turned out.. I could not paddle with him that day, I had to work, and I warned him this is not a good run to do without going with someone who knew it well....he decided to try out Lake Creek without me and he would figure it out with his fellow paddler from Cali.. and I told them of several "not to miss eddys"...and for sure look out for the main rapid I named the "Paralylizer"..Lars returned much later that day. head hanging low, beat up and ragged. He got hammered.....I asked him what happened ... he refused to give me much information, he looked at me with deep set eyes, thanked me for the in his truck and left...I never knew what happen to Lars on Lake Creek... and never will perhaps......peace out Lars...

ducksrus is offline   Reply With Quote