Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 11-09-2006   #1
a huge THANK YOU to all who have thrown in to help me fight

To everyone who has helped me beat up on cancer:

I just wanted to thank you personally from the bottom of my heart for your help with my situation. It has meant to so much to me to get so much support from the whitewater community. I have no doubt that I am going to beat this thing soon, but the journey is not an easy one. The support I am feeling, is making it much easier for my family and me. It is great not to be stressing too much over the medical bills that continue to roll in, but the feeling of love and encouragement that your act of generosity has given me far outweighs the valuable monetary support.

Throughout this journey, I have several times compared having cancer, to running a challenging river. At the “take-out”, I am sure I will look back and know that this has been more of a gift than a burden. Most kayakers I know are living examples of the skill and attitude needed to fight cancer and be victorious: determination, courage, a positive attitude, and a willingness to help your fellow kayakers when the odds are stacked against them. I am so proud to be part of this community.

Thank you so much for the positive thoughts and encouragement and your extremely generous donations. I send out to all of you lots of love!

I can’t wait to get back and see all of you on the rivers in a few months.

khilleke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006   #2
Nederland, Colorado
my heart is with you

Hey girl hang in there even us RAFTERS are thinking of you. Be strong and when you are up to it there is a space on my raft for you.

yukonjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006   #3
T ride, Colorado
an thought came to me

as with most things in life. "keep paddling" Katie. Your river family is always here for the t rescue remember that. But I just resently found out something about a derivative of locoweed called Swensanine that they are using in Europe(not leagal here yet) to treat some cancers. Might be worth asking one of your doc's about. It's a natural plant derivative and I believe it's not legal here because it's kinda the same chemical comformation as opioids. My heart and thoughts are with you.
jenneral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006   #4
You are welcome, just mailed a Cashiers Check for $1800 to your assistance fund. Thanks Dagger and Hobie!!!

My mom is a cancer survior, you will give cancer a beat-down too, Katie.
What we do in life, echoes in eternity!
riverotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006   #5
$3,605 collected so far for Katie Hilleke heading into the Tommy Hilleke slide show in Colorado Springs next Tuesday. Put that together with the $1800 from Hobie's Dagger boat auction and Charly's Atlanta LVM fund raiser on November 16, and the boating community is showing just how well we can rally across the country to support a good cause. This is a good time to send a big shout out to our sponsors who made the raffle possible.

Penstock Productions
Jackson Kayak
Shred Ready
WRSI helmets
Immersion Research
Colorado Kayak Supply
Waterdog Productions

Also some special recognition to Katie and Jed Selby, Andre Spino Smith and Dustin Urban of South Main who donated $1,000.

I walked around the site yesterday with a group led by Mike Harvey who designed the features and it's looking great guys. The Buena Vista Colorado play park at South Main will be a showcase.

A couple of other special people to acknowledge for contributing to the success of the fundraising.
Jimmy Blakeney
Tanya Shuman
John Grace
Newton Tilson
Todd Gillman
Mike B is offline   Reply With Quote