Old 10-29-2008   #21
Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1999
1. REASON WHY I KAYAK(PERIOD)= leaving the shitty world for reality!

caspermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008   #22
Moscow, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1995
1. I kayak because it is consistently more fun than anything else that I can do with my time. My journey in the sport has been one of constant learning. My learning curve never seems to plateau for very long, which is impressive after more than a decade. As a bonus, kayaking allows me to travel to new and remote places and meet new and interesting people.

2. I like that kayakers, in general, are a welcoming and fun-loving group. I have also found that you end up paddling with a lot of super intelligent people who are generally down to earth and willing to share their experiences. I also like the fact that I consistently, yet randomly, run into boaters that I know in unexpected places far from where we originally met.

3. I have been kayaking for about 13 years, and I plan to continue for as long as my body will allow it.

4. Beyond a particular type of paddling, I most enjoy discovering new rivers, features, and places. Going paddling often requires a person to step outside of their day-to-day surroundings and drop into new and sometimes uncomfortable situations. I seek out those situations because they challenge me and force me to constantly reassess what I am capable of.

"A river is more than an amenity, it is a treasure."
-Oliver Wendell Holmes writing for the majority in New Jersey v. New York
phlyingfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008   #23
Originally Posted by newby89 View Post
1-why is that you kayak?

2-what part of kayaking culture is it that you find the most attractive?

3-how long have you been kayaking? and how long do you think that you'll continue to kayak?

4-what area of kayaking do you find to be the most enjoyable( on the river or off the river, creeking or playboating or racing or whatever)?
my 02 -

1 - Kayaking is a great way to explore the world around us, and seeing awesome places in a unique way that most will not get to experience. The feeling of running whitewater is simmilar to the flowy smooth feeling that you get when skiing powder...the movements, self expression, and grace that come from being dialed into a line is quite enjoyable.

2 - i think kayakers are unique comparred to other alternative..non-competative sports in that it is not unusual to kayak with people that you don't know, and strangers will often save you or your shit, and you will find yourself returning the favor to other strangers. (that is, unless you're like the group i saw at gore a couple weekends ago, who just sat on teh bank and blew their whistles, while their own buddy clung to the rock that separates the sneak line from ginger!! - my buddy kevin actually saw this going on, ferried across the river, got out, hiked up to the train tracks, hiked the tracks back up to gore from scissors, and bagged the swimmer...who might still be clinging to that rock if it weren't for kev-O) - in my experience, runs rarely get too crowded from rivers can absorb many more people than ski slopes, rock faces...and maybe mnt bike trails (though i don't know about this last one, since i don't bike)

3 - 6 yrs or so??...who knows - kayak till i die?

4 - the most enjoyable part for me is one of 2 things. 1) right after you pull a line that is scary....and 2) takeout beers, talking shit the bros, road trips, winning rock paper scissors and making someone else drive.
Steve Kahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008   #24
g-spot, Colorado
Question 1-
Of course there are multiple reasons but what really gets me going about WW kayaking are the intense feelings of anticipation, fear, and exhilaration that are part of the WW kayaking experience for me. Someone once told me that the best comparison for these feelings was from using hard drugs. Kayaking brings about these intense feelings in a safe healthy environment. Had my friend known about kayaking earlier in life he might not have needed drugs.

MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote