Old 09-21-2011   #1
x, x
Paddling Since: x
a few questions about gore canyon.

I am looking into going down gore this weekend with 2 other guys and none of us have ran it before. We have been paddling bailey a good number of times and lots of other solid 4's this season.

I do not expect it to be hard to walk around in there and from what I gather it goes at a class 4 level as long as we walk gore, tunnel, toilet bowl.

How easy/hard is it to recognize gore rapid on the way dowm and how often will someone boat right into tunnel or toiletbowl with out a guide.

I would like a guide and have some pms sent. We are even thinking about overnighting it and trying to scout to toilet bowl from gore on day 1. then just running pyrite till the sun goes down and finish up on sunday.

thoughts on the canyon please, and if anyone has a long day to kill....

thanks bob

bobbuilds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011   #2
Denver, Colorado
I wouldn't two day it. Racers make it down the meat in about 20 minutes. You shouldn't have much problem finding someone to show you the lines this time of year, not much else running.

"I think I handled my alcohol pretty well considering how drunk I was." -Cousin Dan
Livingston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011   #3
Wolcott, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
I am sure any number of the guys you called "pieces of shit" earlier this season would love to take you down Gore. I would except I am not capable of holding a rope plus I will be all tripped out on Mushrooms and might "accidently" float us all into Gore rapid.

Seriously though it is very easy to recognize Gore Rapid. It sounds like a train when you get near it with a huge boulder on the right to eddy out before or after. Tunnel is recognized by the second train tunnel on the right side of the river. The advice I got the first time I ran gore was "you are going to look at tunnel and not want to run it anyways" Toilet Bowl is the most dificult to recognize and the most likely to float into. It comes up pretty quickly after tunnel and is snuck on the far, far left...seriously far left.
JDHOG72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011   #4
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
For one, the chances of there not being any other people in the canyon this weekend are near zero. Even so, with a little beta it should be pretty easy to identify the major drops. Gore is all pool drop. The main part of the canyon is run in under 30 min straight through. Though it might be a fun adventure, overnighting it is probably a bit excessive. Also, toilet bowl is rarely portaged, but many run an unpleasant sneak scraping along the left wall.

Also, in my expert opinion, Tunnel has changed and is flushing quite a bit more (at least at > 1250 cfs) than it used to. I think it's more of a hey diddle diddle move now. But that's not to say you shouldn't take it seriously and it will probably become stickier as it comes down - as always.
KSC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011   #5
Indian Hills, Colorado
Originally Posted by KSC View Post
I think it's more of a hey diddle diddle move now.
What is a hey diddle diddle?

And yeah, what everyone else said. There will be a ton of people in the canyon this weekend; I'm sure you'll find someone to give first-hand on-river beta. Toilet bowl is a shitty sneak, have someone show you the way of the duck and scrape. Respect Kirch. If you end up right at the bottom it can ruin your day.
DanOrion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011   #6
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Right down the middle.

Also, last I heard people have now dumped 3 throw ropes out of toilet bowl this year. Good chance at least one has landed in Kirshbaum. Personally, I'm making sure I don't roll in there. Clip your rope into your boat while you're at it.
KSC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011   #7
x, x
Paddling Since: x
Thanks for the info, I should be fine. I ask knowing there will be people there but figured we'd be on our own seeing as no one else would want to stop and scout the rapids.

We are going in as a group of 3 early and hopefully will find groups around the meat of the canyon.

I figured my "peice of shit" speach would bite me in the ass, but it was justifyed, as most of them are ruining access to all kinds of good runs. The good news is, I do not have kids and could care less about the next generation who will not have the .oportunitys like I do now. it is almost all gone now anyway, just a matter of time

see you down there. orange/white/yellow jackson. tell me to fuck off, and stay back.
bobbuilds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011   #8
Copper Mountain, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
I wouldn't totally consider tunnel and toilet bowl "easy portages," except to those that are shouldering boats on a regular basis(other than supermax/first falls). Almost better to just send it on those two.

You'll have a much better time if you can find a guide for you and your friends.
Cphilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011   #9
KVBA TV8 Vail weatherman/Colorado Kayaker, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1992
Send a message via MSN to hobie
Easily done in a day with scouting and portages. And whatever you do dont be one of the many ASSHOLES that cut across Jim's land on the flatwater paddle in. Fukn' kooks.

Have fun, its all good in a day.

hobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011   #10
Golden Paddling Since: 2005
There will be tons of people in the canyon both Saturday and Sunday. If you get there early it will be easy to be able to watch others run the lines.

Gore has a very different feel than Bailey, bigger and juicier. Don't forget about Kirshbaum it is right after towlet bowl and is not very scoutable or portagable. Highly recommended to have someone to lead you down, it is long and explosive in there and easy to get lost. If you end up upside down in there hold on and fight for the roll, better to see the wet side of the rapid than swim it.

Good luck, be safe, paddle hard.

teletumbler is offline   Reply With Quote