Old 09-21-2011   #11
Boulder, Colorado
All rapids are easy to scout/portage, people are saying to sneak toiletbowl but if you ahve a boof just run it down the middle it is an easier line. You can scout k-bomb on river left at the beach, there is a nice trail and it is a pretty quick scout that is worth it unless you are confodent boat scouting all of bailey

tj@cu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011   #12
x, x
Paddling Since: x
Thanks guys, I appreciate it. I am glad to know it is scoutable/portageable and i am learning there is not a bunch of inbetween to get tripped up in. It should be good.

bobbuilds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011   #13
Newport, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1989
I'm no authority on Gore like some of these others but my 2 cents:

The boogie between Scissors/Pyrite to Tunnel isn't tough but it can feel pretty big your first time down. You can't see a whole lot ahead and there's some holes in there that could definitely knock you around a bit. That and you'll start thinking that tunnel is right around every corner. A guide is definitely nice to have your first time.

Tunnel can be (used to be?) a bit of a roll of the dice, either it flushes you out or takes you in for a beatdown but everyone I've paddled with believes that the first time you run it it gives you a free pass. Better to set someone with a rope below it and plug and pray. Obviously you CAN boof Toilet Bowl but if you mess it up the consequences are more punishing than you want to risk. IMO sneak, every time.

I've had a variety of lines through K-Bomb, I paddled it once with an OC1 boater, he did a lot of eddy hopping breaking it up, following him ended in me swimming. The next day I had my best lines just bombing down and reactionary boating the entire rapid, making sure to end left.

Have fun, stay safe!
"Paddle silently, boof loudly"
Redpaddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011   #14
There's some in between to spook the shit out of ya if you're not paying attention. Nothing bad and most are easy to miss but theres some big ass holes lying around. Kirsch is easy to scout, just takes a while. Expect a much bigger-pushier-why-the-hell-is-my-boat-not-going-where-i-think-it-should type river, paddle hard and you'll have a blast. Its very different than bailey and a tad harder but mostly just different. Have fun!
mbannister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011   #15
dont listen to evan he is too busy fishing pearls (literally) out of his vagina to kayak.
paulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011   #16
Newport, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1989
The buzz is the only thing that keeps me connected to boatin paul! Just got some beta today about first D's in Sumatra though. Crazy multiday orangutan country. Old German guy lives in Medan has some boats to rent. You get the crew, I'll find the tiger repellent.

"Paddle silently, boof loudly"
Redpaddle is offline   Reply With Quote