Old 11-14-2008   #1
Fort Collins, Colorado
Send a message via MSN to Becky J
A Day for the Poudre

So I have this project that I'm working on for an Ecotourism class I'm taking at CSU that requires me to create a program of some sort with the theme of "Uniquely Fort Collins." I've come up with the idea of a day solely devoted to the celebration of the Poudre, similar to a smaller scale version of the Sustainable Living Fair. Instead of sustainability obviously, I want the event to be focused on all the aspects of the Poudre River: recreation, water use, current issues and plans. At the end of the semester we have to present the idea to a panel of judges and to the City of Fort Collins Tourism Department. If they like my plan then there is a good chance it will be taken on and actually implemented.

My group and I have been diligently talking with local businesses and organizations like New Belgium, JAX, The Mountain Shop, Save the Poudre, Friends of the Poudre, and many others to see if they'd be interested in participating. I mean who wouldn't want to have a day or potentially an entire weekend solely devoted to drinking good beer, playing in the water, learning more about the river, and most importantly celebrating the Poudre?

And now, after a somewhat long intro, I was just wondering if anyone had any other ideas or good contacts for this potential event. It would be a great help to my group and me.

Becky J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008   #2
Poudre River Kayaks would love to be a part of it. Let me know if you want me to do anything. Or just make my brother do it.

BrianK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008   #3
Newport, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1989
I think we could have the party at Breck's house on Cardiac. yeah, that would be awesome. He would love it!
"Paddle silently, boof loudly"
Redpaddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008   #4
moab, Utah
Paddling Since: 08
im in for whatever you come up with. i think we should hold the festival whether its official or not. who needs an excuse for river love, music, beer, and boaters?
junkshowriverchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008   #5
Steamboat, Colorado!
Paddling Since: 2005
Sounds awesome Beckita keep up the good work! You might want to hit up the rafting companies!
jen84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008   #6
Grangeville, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2002
Turner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008   #7
Indian Hills, Colorado
from the sounds of the mishap at mishawaka after the gnarrows race, i think we should all stay away from the mish. i wasnt there, but it didnt sound like a friendly scene.
Jace Crane
720 290 0499
crane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008   #8
Fort Collins, Colorado
There already is a Poudre River Fest which Friends of the Poudre puts on, it has been at both Picnic Park and Gateway Park in past years. I don't think there is a Poudre river related event along the river in town though, and doing this could draw a really large crowd. I second Crane on not having it at the Mish, those guys are jerks. Here are a few ideas if you have it in town:

Flyfishing Demonstrations
Live music directly adjacent the river - Legacy Park is right on College and on the river, the property next to New Belgium could be cool as well.
Free TUBING Shuttle!
Ducky Tour, Canoe Tour - PRKC!
Birding Tours
Water Quality stations (and other educational programs) - get kids in waders (or not) out into the river to measure flow, depth, discharge, water chemistry, and most exciting; to look for macroinvertebrates, Crawdads...

The last two are programs that the city of Fort Collins already has organized, check in with their natural areas program. Another thing to do would be a river cleanup, though I know MWD puts one on in June (maybe do another for the festival if it is in July?). You know I am down to help with this Becky, it sounds like a great idea!
jmetten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008   #9
NOCO, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1990
Second the cleanup

I second the clean-up. Not sure about the town sections, but the Tube Plant section (Filter Plant) was a mess by mid summer with tubes, can, trash, bootie and more.
FatmanZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008   #10
185 lb. waste of space, Keeping Glenwood Springs real
Paddling Since: 1864
I propose getting back to our roots. We came out naked and wet so once more we shall be slippery and in the buff. Hooray shrinkage

970-217-21 six six
yourrealdad is offline   Reply With Quote