Old 05-12-2011   #11
The next zone, .
If you boys have not figured it out yet.. All the arguing and go between is Cristo's "art" and I for one appreciate it just like any other form of art.. The fabric is just a + if he can get it in....

Thanks everyone on this thread - for your contribution to Cristo's "art" !!!

"I feel better than any other time when I am in the mountains and uh I cant explain it ya know...." - Shawn Farmer..........
Jahve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011   #12
Salida, Colorado
Put it in your back yard

Destun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011   #13
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Couldn't they just paint all the wildlife in the area orange?It would be like paddling a 5.9 mile koi pond with birds and mammals easier to spot on the sides.This will actually benefit both wildlife and the locals.Crisco can pay for the round ups and paint booths, creating jobs.In hunting season the animals will be harder to distinguish from the yahoos trying to murder them,sparing some animals and culling the herd of hunters via numerous Dick Cheney faceshot like incidents.At the end of the project they can be re -rounded up sheared and their wool/fur used for unlicensed Broncos apparel,memorabilia/life sized Tebow mannikins and the like.Excess ewes who survive hunting season can be registered online as mail order brides bound for Wyoming.There are always common sense solutions.
cayo 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011   #14
placerville, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
wow- this thread (and prior others on this subject) shows how some in our boating community are closed-minded, short-sighted, and slightly ignorant. looking forward to more comments! very entertaining to read while at work!
steven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011   #15
pnw, Washington
Originally Posted by teletoes View Post
I happen to like Christo's art and I'm bummed at the lack of enthusiasm from the boating community.
No, those that support it have just learned to shut up about it and let the haters rave on.
"Yesterday I was clever and tried to change the world. Today I am wise and try to change myself." -Rumi
gh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011   #16
dark center, of the universe
Paddling Since: 1996
Does christo think he can improve upon God's majestic work? 6000 years ago when the great floods carved the canyons in the Rocky Mountains (yes, read a book, it's called the bible) God made everything perfect the way he intended it. Every time I drive through the canyon I marvel at the natural wilderness that is there.

When my non-paddling family comes to town, I take them on the Royal Gorge train so that they can experience the Creators work as he intended it, wild and free. Hanging some orange fabric over it is nothing short of sacrilege.

Has Christo not even considered the tens of thousands of people that want nothing more than a raft trip in the wilderness. Imagine getting off the bus at the put in, expecting some solitude in the wilderness only to be confronted by the rags over the river. Talk about a bummer.

Has he not considered the animals and the Fish? The Department of Wildlife has worked very hard on the river, Shoring up the banks and placing rocks just to create the ideal natural habitat for the trouts and other fish, too. You can see evidence of just how hard the DOW has worked to ensure things are pristine as they should be. Just look at the sheep wearing the radio collars on the side of the road and you can see that they monitor the sheep so they can ensure their safety. Is Christo going to monitor the sheep? I doubt it.

Also to be considered is that of safety. The DOT has worked very hard in that canyon to ensure it is safe for all to drive and access the river. They have put netting up and drilled many stabilizers in the rock just to ensure we can all go down the canyon and get back to nature. What if Christo's drilling weakens the anchors and causes a rock slide? I would hate for something man-made to prevent access to the wild and free river.

Sacrilege....that is what it is.
Tannhauser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011   #17
mountains, Colorado
Paddling Since: '92
Originally Posted by Randaddy View Post
Most of the boating community is interested in protecting river corridors from unnecessary impact. This is the least necessary impact ever conceived. He should find a new project, Colorado is never going to let it happen.
Hilarious...boating community protecting rivers from "Unnecessary impact"...isn't boating a "unnecessary impact"?
...just sayin'
caseybailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011   #18
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
yeah exactly it's not hating on anyone,it's the absurdity of the whole thing.If and when it happens i' ll probably check it out like everybody else.I think Rednek is onto something,his real art is in stirring up controversy.He does that well.The 'art' is really more like design and construction projects that look semi-cool ,not a display of talent in some traditional artistic field/medium.I guess the line between design and art is blurry.

If the guy is trying to be provocative ,then why is it hateful/narrow minded to express a critical or sarcastic opinion ? If it is the cultural critique you object's not hating on anyone, it's the absurdity of the whole thing....

guess life does mirror art and vice versa
cayo 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011   #19
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
I don't know that I really get Crisco's "art", but if he builds it, I'm sure as hell gonna float under it!
I've a suggestion to keep you all occupied...learn to swim!
Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011   #20
Summit County, and Idaho
Originally Posted by Roy View Post
I don't know that I really get Crisco's "art", but if he builds it, I'm sure as hell gonna float under it!
Its hard to understand "art" of this nature. But if it all goes as planned, it would really boost the economy of the arkansas valley.

I would float under it in a heartbeat, and I bet everyone who is being closeminded would too. After all, it would be hard not to see what all the fuss is about, right?

Fallingup is offline   Reply With Quote